Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Destructive walls in adventure mode idea

Started by arseniy, January 10, 2010, 08:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arseniy

I have an idea here. I think to make some more puzzles in the adventure mode it could be done that some walls are openeable. Some of Blue Landers can tell you location. This walls require lot of shooting so u will find it too boring to try and shoot every wall in the game to hope to find a breakeble one.
:bluelanderbig: "The west wall in the X:17 Y:29 can be opened. Try to shoot it"
So actually this walls can work sort of like a hidden doors and we can make it that some blue landers tell you where the hidden wall is and some of them tell you how to open it.
If this not too confusing tho.
It also can be used to create an alternative ending and hardcore secret levels just like in Cave Story.

Rynn Rayne

I like the idea, but there should be some hazard to going into those "secret rooms". Maybe a mini-boss, or an exceptionally tough puzzle that can damage and kill you if you mess up too many times. Likewise, the reward would have to be equally suited for getting past such a challenge.

As for how to impliment it, I like the "two Blue Lander" idea - one knows the wall in question, the other knows how to open it.

arseniy

Quote from: Rynn Rayne on January 14, 2010, 08:29:19 AM
I like the idea, but there should be some hazard to going into those "secret rooms". Maybe a mini-boss, or an exceptionally tough puzzle that can damage and kill you if you mess up too many times. Likewise, the reward would have to be equally suited for getting past such a challenge.

As for how to impliment it, I like the "two Blue Lander" idea - one knows the wall in question, the other knows how to open it.
reading your answer gave me a smart idea about the walls can be opened only with certain weapon! Wow that's just make the weapons work as a keys as well.

RagnarokNAJU

or mabye certain actions can open up these secrets.. just like certain corridors had "puzzles" in order to be opened..

maybe like killing enemies in a certain order..
using special weapons as you mentioned..
waiting..
button combinations..
score/life/chips ended in a certain digit..

just some ideas
~~ Cleaveland

arseniy

Quote from: RagnarokNAJU on February 05, 2010, 04:33:28 PM
or mabye certain actions can open up these secrets.. just like certain corridors had "puzzles" in order to be opened..

maybe like killing enemies in a certain order..
using special weapons as you mentioned..
waiting..
button combinations..
score/life/chips ended in a certain digit..

just some ideas
Nice fun! Also if the answer would not so clear but enough for guess....
Yay opening wall-door by having 0 chips :redlander:

teremochek

+
It is good idea. And it is easy for realising.

Megadeth502

i like this idea...and maybe a certain wall wont open unless you have less than 1/4 health or until you have leveled up 10 times

Kat

A few ideas:

- A wall would be opened once certain optional corridors are completed.

- Another wall would be opened if you moved a certain way on the map. Like for example you are on position X:52 Y: 16, and you proceeded to X:55 Y:16, X:55 Y:13, X:52 Y:13, then back up to X:52 Y:16, a tune or message could show up indicating that a change has been made somewhere in whatever sector.

arseniy

That trick would also work for corridor! nice idea :3
Yay how cruel to open destruct of a wall for having little health :)

Jigglysaint

It would be very easy to do in the original game except for the lack of space.  Well, any event that takes place off screen.  On screen changes would take far more coding.

Roundcreatureinnextroom

I will sell this to you

UserK

I also think it is a good idea. The only problem I see deals with drawing them making them look the same as normal walls (it could be not a problem in 2010).

I think however there should really be limitations on conditions to open. For example, the condition must be time-invariant (no looking back in time, can be evaluated instantly) or local (the condition is tracked in time, but only in wall's room, can still take only up to N seconds).

For example, Kat's first suggestion does comply with those limitations.
It is non-local, but it can be evaluated instantly.
Its second proposal does not comply: it needs to track non-local (in the sense of non-room-internal) conditions over time. Because a room transition happens at worse every second, the performance involved in tracking does not scare me. What it does however is to slap the player "in his face" with arbitrary space/time conditions. Under no circumstance this should happen, which implies hints shall be designed.

Personally I think that the reward for exploring optional areas should be relatively small (in the order of completing a standard corridor, a red lander at most). Most of the reward could be done by story-telling for example.
I believe that under no circumstances the player should be punished for not succeeding in an optional feature.

arseniy

I dunno. You know of alternative endings right?
So the destruct walls may lead you to some harder variation of a game and more positive ending.

UserK

Quote from: arseniy on October 31, 2010, 06:00:16 AM
I dunno. You know of alternative endings right?
So the destruct walls may lead you to some harder variation of a game and more positive ending.
I am not well aware of those. Are you referring to the alternative endings being discussed here?
I think I can see the connection. As I have proposed optional rewards to be "minor", you observe this would rule out the possibility of nonlinear story. I'm not much into non-linearity but there can always be exceptions.
The most important part of my previous message deals with "conditions to open". I am quite sure of the rationale behind this. The degree of awarding is admittedly open to discussion.