Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Take a page from Shadowgate.

Started by Golbez, August 25, 2014, 03:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golbez

Has anyone thought about doing a kickstarter to make a remake of this game? Or sequel? The makers of Shadowgate just pulled it off, to great effect. They have a few inherent advantages up their sleeves, of course. One, they created the game and so have an extensive background with the game brand and game development. Two, they were able to buy the licensing/copyrights to the game and fully do what they want. Still, I think the idea of a kickstarter is an excellent idea for anyone who might be serious about doing a sequel or 3D remake, etc. Maybe the community here can help brainstorm some ideas of how to get it set up, what would be good prizes for donors, recruiting talent, etc. Just a thought, though maybe a touch ambitious.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zojoi/shadowgate

arseniy

It works for famous games but TGL is far from it I think. Of course someone can try that. Irem said "do whatever you want but change the game name and graphics". Can be asked again.
You can also check the current home making project of remake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLt9lwp_7Sk

UserK

Damn you Russians are having fun!
The background looks fantastic I wish some upper tier artist could unificate presentation a bit it currently looks a bit incoherent somehow!

BTW, how are Kickstarters now? Last time I checked - but we're talking a year ago at least - they were USA only.

Darth Miria

Quote from: arseniy on August 25, 2014, 11:44:45 PMIrem said "do whatever you want but change the game name and graphics".
Has anybody by chance ever asked Irem for an estimate of what they'd probably want in order to sell those old rights to the game?
Some years back, I had heard stories about some fans of old obscure games buying the rights from no-longer-gaming-companies for as little as a few grand; that got me to thinking I could probably even buy guardian legend's rights for less than car seeing how it seemed to have very little awareness about it. Then suddenly the value of the game went up out of nowhere (used copies suddenly went as high as forty bucks when it was around ten or so before); this was apparently due to Cinemassacre rating it the number one obscure nes game. At that point I was afraid getting the rights may be notably higher, possibly tens of thousands of dollars. These days, the price and awareness seems down again (though still not as low as originally). Every company wants money, and thus has a "breaking point" on any potential deal where if you throw enough money at them they they'll go "It's yours!" The questions is, where would Irem's breaking point be? If it happened to be under 40k, I could buy it myself as a big Christmas present to everybody. If it were one or two hundred grand, then it would be possible, but take quite a group effort. They'd have to be completely utterly insane to ask for more than a quarter million.
It just feels like such a big waste to have the rights to such an amazing game with such amazing potential to this day just floating in limbo forever...  :skull:

arseniy

Are you kiddin?  XD XD XD
For 30k$ you could make a good "spiritual" sequel/remake and that would be much better present. Who cares about the name so much? The Guardian Legend 2. I think people would prefer a great game with walking exploration adventure + great SHMUP with original game cryptic feeling.

Personally I think it would be better to make a game. And a name could be just anything, like The Legend of Miria or Space Guardian etc :D

deepshock

Or Steel Seraph.  :3

In all seriousness, games like Axiom Verge, Shadow Knight and the like that do old things in a new way are really nice. It's amazing that people are taking notice.
Steel Seraph developer.

www.facebook.com/steelseraph
www.twitter.com/steelseraphgame

arseniy

Quote from: deepshock on May 31, 2015, 10:23:36 AM
Or Steel Seraph.  :3

In all seriousness, games like Axiom Verge, Shadow Knight and the like that do old things in a new way are really nice. It's amazing that people are taking notice.

You meant Shovel Knight I guess?
Axiom Verge is like Metroid clone. That could be the great option for Guardian Legend to pick that way.

deepshock

Steel Seraph developer.

www.facebook.com/steelseraph
www.twitter.com/steelseraphgame

Darth Miria

Quote from: arseniy on May 27, 2015, 06:49:19 AM
For 30k$ you could make a good "spiritual" sequel/remake and that would be much better present.
I don't really like "spiritual sequels". To me, it's either the thing you loved, or it isn't. Also, there is the fact that not having the rights always leaves open the possibility for the rights owners to eventually weasel their way into your business if your "inspired" project ever ends up getting a lot of attention and/or success.
And there's the original game staying in limbo; it would be so nice if it could be officially made available again. 

arseniy

Well that's your idea. Maybe it's better to make some preparation, and wait the price drop.