Updates:

Fans are welcome!

i am seeking hackers for a project to extend the game

Started by andreasaspenberg, February 12, 2015, 03:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreasaspenberg

my idea is this: more corridors, more labyrinths and more powerups while still retaining the story. one idea is to move some of the spinning enemies into the new corridors as fighting them there is easier. one idea is to unlock an extra labyrinth per key next to those already cleared.(completing corridor 2 unlocks 2 new zones in addition to the zone with corridor 3 as there is 2 zones containing corridor 2 and corridor 11.) that would unlock corridor 22, 23, 31 and 32 as the optional corridors is ten numbers above the mandatory and 21 is the final corridor. other ideas is to increase the number of guns and shields. new music for the new corridors would also be useful and also new graphics. i can test stuff out but i can not edit roms myself. i can however lead the project.

arseniy

I don't think this is even possible on NES.
But it could be possible with something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB19jHHC7Fg

andreasaspenberg

romhacking can do a lot of stuff. i saw one rom hack that changed almost an entire game. i have also seen NES hacks that replace the main character with a different one. i have even seen some that replace level graphics. i believe that what i suggested can be done but i do not have the skills to do it myself.

arseniy

That ROM is full, it was discussed here somewhere, there is just no place to put there some more. Changing graphics - yes of course. But adding more corridors - no. Ask Optomon, the author of the only hack on this game.

And I don't think anyone would want to make another hack anyway. Also I don't see any point in it. Why not organize a project with modern software?

optomon

Only possible through rom expansion. You would need to convert TGL rom to use the Paperboy 2 mapper (UOROM). Then you could double the rom size; but you'd need to figure out how to recode it to gather level info from other parts of the rom.

fireball

Quote from: arseniy on February 13, 2015, 06:19:03 AM
And I don't think anyone would want to make another hack anyway. Also I don't see any point in it. Why not organize a project with modern software?

--edit-- This is directed to Andrea, not ars.  I'm just quoting him to add to the statement.

This may be a little mean, but it's something that I tend to say in topics like this.  There's not going to be many programmers with the skill to make awesome things by themselves, who are really going to be sold on a project because you offer management.  Most programmers would probably prefer to self manage, and are probably fairly decent at it.  If you want to convince people to work on a project for you, you have to convince them that you will also be producing equally valuable work... or money, money works too.
I died.

Quoise Games

Quote from: andreasaspenberg on February 12, 2015, 03:25:49 PM
my idea is this: more corridors, more labyrinths and more powerups while still retaining the story. one idea is to move some of the spinning enemies into the new corridors as fighting them there is easier. one idea is to unlock an extra labyrinth per key next to those already cleared.(completing corridor 2 unlocks 2 new zones in addition to the zone with corridor 3 as there is 2 zones containing corridor 2 and corridor 11.) that would unlock corridor 22, 23, 31 and 32 as the optional corridors is ten numbers above the mandatory and 21 is the final corridor. other ideas is to increase the number of guns and shields. new music for the new corridors would also be useful and also new graphics. i can test stuff out but i can not edit roms myself. i can however lead the project.

I might be able to help you.  I've figured out how to double the size of the rom and use the extra space.  I just need a specific detailed list of things you want added and I'll work on it.