Updates:

Fans are welcome!

The Guardian Legend: Shadow of Naju

Started by BmpCorp, July 20, 2018, 10:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BmpCorp

Greetings, all TGL fans!

The Guardian Legend: Shadow of Naju is my unofficial sequel of the original game. I hope that I was able to keep the spirit of TGL, because it is supposed to be new levels with the same gameplay and some new, modern improvements. More details in ReadMe file.
The game is made using Adobe Flash technology. The development started in 2010, but after 2012 it slowed down and stopped eventually. Exactly a year ago I decided to resume work on the project, rewritting it from scratch, and today I have the honor to introduce the result to you.

I don't want to repeat ReadMe file, so here are the downloading links of version 2.1.0 for Windows (24,3 MB):
Yandex.Disk
Mega.nz
My-files.ru
and for Mac (didn't test it thoroughly!) (34,6 MB):
Yandex.Disk

Currently, Russian and English languages are available. Well, since English isn't my native language, the game can contain some grammar and spelling mistakes. Just like old NES games!

Here are the most significant changes in version 2.0.0:
- teleports between save rooms are available now;
- map now shows markers of bonuses not yet taken, and also labyrinth bosses;
- rate of fire and projectile speed of main weapon are increased, especially in the beginning.
Here are the most significant changes in version 2.1.0:
- Miria can walk between two adjacent vertical blocks;
- minimap added;
- second lifebar added, showing difference between actual and pending health.

Full changelog is inside zip file.

A few screenshots:

Gameplay video:
Corridor gameplay
Labyrinth gameplay

Have fun!

arseniy

Why version here is lower than in russian topic?

BmpCorp

deepshock

A possible bug: After a game over, bindings reset.

Other notes:

Do the longer air stages have checkpoints? The first one seems to have a fair bit more after the initial defense system battle
or rather before it?
Red Lander as a vendor is great!  :redlander:
Good choice on Hard Man's theme in MM3 for Corridor 11's air stage. Game's all right.
The starting fire rate feels like starting from -5 and working up to 0, rather than starting from 0 and working up to 5
The weapon has decent damage though
Weapon quick change is great as an idea too
And -thank you from the bottom of my heart for not making weapon costs time based for everything!-
Also for allowing saves rather than huge passwords
Steel Seraph developer.

www.facebook.com/steelseraph
www.twitter.com/steelseraphgame

BmpCorp

deepshock, thank you for your feedback!

Quote from: deepshock on August 04, 2018, 08:54:20 AM
A possible bug: After a game over, bindings reset.

The starting fire rate feels like starting from -5 and working up to 0, rather than starting from 0 and working up to 5
v. 2.00 fixes this :)

Air stages don't have checkpoints, but there are checkpoints before every corridor in arcade mode. Also there's an autosave after very first corridor, so if player dies before accessing save room, he won't have to complete first corridor again.

andreasaspenberg

it is an interesting game. using copyrighted enemies however is not wise. if nintendo finds out that there is metroid enemies here, they might sue. i am not sure about how protective nintendo is however. enemies from the final fantasy games is more likely to get attention. then there is bugs, specially in the pathing. i often have to shoot 2 blocks to get through one.  the amount of stuff that increase firing rate is a bit low. difficulties should possibly be tweaked but i am not sure how. maybe a bit more shots on easy. corridor 2 really freaked me out. the jump scares during the boss battle scared me so much that i could not continue playing after beating it.

BmpCorp

Quote from: andreasaspenberg on October 08, 2018, 05:46:36 AM
it is an interesting game. using copyrighted enemies however is not wise. if nintendo finds out that there is metroid enemies here, they might sue. i am not sure about how protective nintendo is however. enemies from the final fantasy games is more likely to get attention.
Well, I don't claim any rights and never intend to earn any monetary reward for this game. Besides, there are lots of similar flash games on sites like Newgrounds, and they've been uploaded there several years ago. But your warning is reasonable.

then there is bugs, specially in the pathing. i often have to shoot 2 blocks to get through one.
It seems to bother many players, as I can see. It will be fixed in the next update.

the amount of stuff that increase firing rate is a bit low. difficulties should possibly be tweaked but i am not sure how. maybe a bit more shots on easy.
Starting rate of fire is almost identical to original game (precisely, 220 ms vs 200 ms), and the first upgrade increases it the most. I think it shouldn't be affected by difficulty level, and also, hopefully there will be the second part of the game, which will have the other half of upgrades, including rate of fire.

corridor 2 really freaked me out. the jump scares during the boss battle scared me so much that i could not continue playing after beating it.
Seriously? I never considered his/her transformation effect as a jumpscare. Well, the game may contain some elements that can be considered scary or cruel. There're enemies from Splatterhouse 2 and Demon's Crest, so keep this in mind. Also, corridor 16 has the advanced version of corridor 2 boss.

cMaC$

Thanks so much for making this! TGL is probably my favorite NES game of all time, and it was so good I always wondered why a sequel was never made.  I just finished playing through Shadow of Naju, and I can say it was very satisfying and challenging.  Very well done!

arseniy

Quote from: cMaC$ on January 01, 2019, 11:06:39 AM
Thanks so much for making this! TGL is probably my favorite NES game of all time, and it was so good I always wondered why a sequel was never made.  I just finished playing through Shadow of Naju, and I can say it was very satisfying and challenging.  Very well done!

The game didn't had success. That's the reason it didn't had sequel. It was planned to make port or maybe sequel for MSX, there  some screens found in magazine about that. But as the famicom version failed it didn't happened.
https://twitter.com/naonori_msx/status/797390653311176704

deepshock

I'm curious as to what led to the idea of disabling teleportation from  :bluelanderbig: at (I think) 4 :heart0:, or 1/2 of max health, or whichever threshold you set. It seems to be a way of adding insult to injury, though I doubt that was the intent.

As far as I've seen, save locations in SoN are reasonably close, but far enough away that there's also a question worth asking about the possibility of one-time health recovery the first time you reach a save point.

Apart from that, the game in version 2.1 is pretty great, and I'm loving the minimap and the quickchange. They work quite well for the game.  :bluelander:
Steel Seraph developer.

www.facebook.com/steelseraph
www.twitter.com/steelseraphgame

katesibce4

Just start the game, good gameplay and design.
Just have one issue...In Labyrinth, When moving character using up, down ,left or right, seems to walk on normal speed, but if i go upper left, upper right, down left, down right, character will move double speed on those dirctions. It feels odd.

Anegorami

Quote from: katesibce4 on March 05, 2019, 04:44:31 PM
Just have one issue...In Labyrinth, When moving character using up, down ,left or right, seems to walk on normal speed, but if i go upper left, upper right, down left, down right, character will move double speed on those dirctions. It feels odd.
Such behavior is common for games, since some programmers tends to forget to cap the max possible player speed. See "Straferunning" and "Trichording".

arseniy

That's because, for example, when you move straight right you have X_coordinate+1

But when you more right+up, you have like X_coordinate+1, Y_coordinate+1 - so there you moving by 2 pixels. Not by distance tho. Calculating the right distance could be found out by formulas like object flying after the mouse cursor.

And I checked the original game. And it seems to not have this thing! So maybe it is something to think to update.