http://www.box.net/shared/7ys4givqpy

Default controls (can be changed in 'Controls' menu):
WASD/Arrows - movement
Slash/Q - shoot normal weapon
Quote/E - shoot special weapon
Space - pause
Tab - map and menus

How about two remakes instead of one?

Greetings, TGL lovers. That's a pity that I found this forum kinda late, though site adress is trivial. I see you're working on the remake and I wonder if the work is still on. 'cause not so long ago...

...I started to work on my own TGL remake. I'm using Flash technology, programming on ActionScript, and to this moment I've created one playable corridor and some rooms. Other basics of the original game, like map, weapon changing, upgrade of weapons and hero, seals etc are implemented, too. Though, there is still a lot of work to do.

One thing to mention, I haven't set myself the task of creating the exact copy of the original with new levels. So I made some changes not regarding to the basics, for example, I changed the resolution of the screen and behavior of some enemies. And of course I wanna made some quantitative changes, like creating higher levels of upgrade, more keys and weapons, and so on. Some of such changes are already implemented.

Here are some screenshots, by way of proof:

Surely, two remakes are better than one. Still, I'd like to hear that the older one isn't abandoned, too.

Comment, please, if you are interested. I think you will be interested, so I'll upload some demo version soon :)

RandomSpriter

It's a rather slow summer for most of us, since we're all busy with family/Vacations etc etc.
So don't expect alot of posts here.

I'm interested to see what you have gotten so far, but the game I'm trying to make is pure scratch, with only references to the original with all new sprites/Characters, which means there's alot of ground work to be done.

And I can say it'll take time, alot and alot of time and remaking sprites until I am happy.

arseniy

Umm... Seems like a nice stuff!
Teremochek started to learn flash he might like this stuff. I do flash games but I not do programming anymore.

I think it would be better to have a remake yeah. Not exact copy.

Thanks, tell your thoughts if you want to do this all alone or looking for someone to join :redlander:

BmpCorp

I understand you're on vacations or somewhat, that's OK, I'll wait.

Quote from: RandomSpriter on August 16, 2010, 08:39:35 AM
I'm interested to see what you have gotten so far, but the game I'm trying to make is pure scratch, with only references to the original with all new sprites/Characters, which means there's alot of ground work to be done.

And I can say it'll take time, alot and alot of time and remaking sprites until I am happy.
So it seems it is more like standalone game than a remake. Good luck, I'm looking forward too see the result.

Quote from: arseniy on August 16, 2010, 11:22:16 PM
Umm... Seems like a nice stuff!
Teremochek started to learn flash he might like this stuff. I do flash games but I not do programming anymore.
Yeah, my question was more about Teremochek's projects, if any of them is online now.

Quote from: arseniy on August 16, 2010, 11:22:16 PM
Thanks, tell your thoughts if you want to do this all alone or looking for someone to join :redlander:
Well, I used to work alone all the time and I think I'm capable of doing it that way. But if somebody wants to help with technical work, I don't mind (I'd like to help other creators, too, if I can do it and have time). Your ideas are always appreciated, too.

For example, now I have two things which needs discussion. First one is music for the game: should it be some high-quality covers of original music or should I use NES music (to make it, like, more nostalgic), not only from TGL. I, personally, wanted to choose the first variant, but it seems there aren't many covers exist. That problem won't be with NES music, so looks like I'll have to choose that variant.

Another point is an idea to create some items which you need to collect during the game and which will grant you a secret boss fight/secret area/better ending etc. I think that's a good idea, but I wonder what should be that items. Maybe you can help with that. :bluelander:

OK, thanks for reading all that, but please read a bit more and you'll get prize - demo of my remake. :) I attched it, so you can see what I made to this moment. There is one corridor and several rooms. There is also the map, but not all rooms are completed yet, so you may suddenly find yourself in starting room :) Just don't go up in first room with enemies, and don't go to the right in the room with red spiders below it, or you'll stuck in the wall.

There's also a bit of a plot, but the story isn't final and complete, since I hadn't pay much attention to it yet. The first screen of the game should show you something about a distress call from space object identified as NAJU, which was destroyed 22 years before in TGL. So our guardianess dispatched there to investigate. Some more story pieces you can find in this demo.

The default controls if WASD/Arrow keys and Q/Slash to shoot. You don't need special weapon key since there aren't any special weapons in demo. Use Space to pause and Tab to see the map. You can also change controls and some other options, including language, in game menu (it's on the map screen).

So, I hope you'll enjoy it! Also, don't pay much attention to the file name. :bluelander: It's here.

PS: Forgot to mention: you cannot die :)

arseniy

teremochek

Looks well! I think that for today is the best variant of sequel.  :redlander:
I can't tell that better: Three games or one. But all can-be it is necessary to unite?

arseniy

This is very impressive.
It feels like a big upgrade of the original.
All mechanics seems very fit the original. It plays kinda well. Well awesome awesome.

my opinion as a feedback on downsides:
1.The first level is too long(which is probably bcuz u try everything in it)
2.The background things in color like asteroids can confuse.
3.the FPS(frames per second). really should be in 30 fps. This seems 12 FPS kinda low frame rate.

All and all that's really awesome effort. Very impressive   :heart::grimgrin::heart:

BmpCorp

Quote from: arseniy on August 17, 2010, 09:20:52 AM
Also about music -
check this out

http://theguardianlegend.com/forum/index.php/topic,205.0.html
Nice track, which could also fit my remake. But if you want to help me with the music, it will take a lot of your time since that is a time-consuming and not an easy work I presume. :) If you have time and will, well maybe...

Quote from: teremochek on August 18, 2010, 10:45:31 PM
Looks well! I think that for today is the best variant of sequel.  :redlander:
Really? Glad to hear that. :)

Quote from: teremochek on August 18, 2010, 10:45:31 PM
I can't tell that better: Three games or one. But all can-be it is necessary to unite?
Um, yes, it's a big question if we should merge our projects or not, but the bigger question I think is just how we gonna do it. So maybe we should leave it as it is, working on serapate projects. I think I also won't be much of help with your projects since I'm only good in programming on ActionScript and similar OOP languages, but creating music/sprites from scratch is not something I can show.

Glad to hear that you liked the demo :) By the way, for now I have implemented a save/load feature (no more long passwords, though, just savegame files) and some special weapons.

BmpCorp

Quote1.The first level is too long(which is probably bcuz u try everything in it)
Well, maybe because I always wanted to extend my fauvorite game and everything in it :) But I, personally, don't think that it is too long and can exsaust or irritate somebody. I wonder what you will say about the whole remake length, as I really plan a lot of areas and corridors...

Quote2.The background things in color like asteroids can confuse.
Yes, you're right, I've already darkened those red and blue planets, so it is no more confusing.

Quote3.the FPS(frames per second). really should be in 30 fps. This seems 12 FPS kinda low frame rate.
The framerate is 20 FPS. I now tried to advance it to 30. Well, it plays much smoother, but it also raises the system requirements, especially in fullscreen mode (yes, I'm not so good in optimisation :skull:). On my PC it still never exceeded 8% of clock time in windowed mode, but if you've seen 12 FPS instead of 20... well, can you tell me maximum CPU loading percentage while playing?

arseniy

Hello. I made change and posted a link to the first post also renamed it into "Sequel Demo - Flash version"
I think with a previous name people could miss it and not read 3 posts to find a link...
If you not like the change you can change it back.

arseniy

Such longer level with few defense system bosses could be another outspace level maybe when u fly from one part of planet to other or to other planet if you plan to make few of them.

My CPU usage is very low on this game even on full screen. Means it can handle 30 fps for sure.

This DEMO gives an idea that there could be an exact port of the original TGL and the stages could be modified with more areas and there u could fight a double bosses  :3 or even triple. I mean like imagine people you fight aganst Optomon and GrimGrin at the same time!  :optomon: :grimgrin: - what a horrible pleasure! XD

Roundcreatureinnextroom

I will sell this to you

BmpCorp

Quote from: arseniy on August 20, 2010, 06:54:06 PM
Hello. I made change and posted a link to the first post also renamed it into "Sequel Demo - Flash version"
I think with a previous name people could miss it and not read 3 posts to find a link...
If you not like the change you can change it back.
Thanks, that's much better. I also updated the link - now you can try it in 30 fps. :)
Also, there is now save/load feature (save room is at X14Y19) and Multibullet weapon at X18Y12. I also added the music (that's why the file is much bigger) - it's by Russell Cox from OCremix, if someone wants to know. Enjoy and comment :)

QuoteSuch longer level with few defense system bosses could be another outspace level maybe when u fly from one part of planet to other or to other planet if you plan to make few of them.
Heh, you've guessed one of my ideas. I've added multi-maps feature already, so there can be multiple planets. :)

QuoteThis DEMO gives an idea that there could be an exact port of the original TGL and the stages could be modified with more areas and there u could fight a double bosses  :3 or even triple. I mean like imagine people you fight aganst Optomon and GrimGrin at the same time!  :optomon: :grimgrin: - what a horrible pleasure! XD
Well, I told you that I don't want to create an exact copy or port, but maybe we have some different opinions about 'exact' word :) And that's a good idea about bosses. I'll definitely think about that.

teremochek

Yes. Music has made good impression. (I too would want that in my game there was music OCR remixes).
With 30fps it became much better. Is interesting Can-whether learn my computer to hold 60fps.

It was pleasant to me:
- A circle of meteorites
(It is made masterful)
- The big square guns which shoot turns   :bluelander: :redlander:
(It was pleasant, and has a little reminded Aleste and Zanac (That on mine is very good).)

Roundcreatureinnextroom

I will sell this to you