Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Possible Hidden Menu?

Started by optomon, February 10, 2010, 01:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optomon

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=587320&topic=53225223

A strange account of a glitchy menu supposedly accessed from the password screen lead me on something of a wild goose chase. I spent a long time trying to find what the user described in the game's rom for countless hours and came up empty. My null hypothesis is that he typed in a password that landed him in an off map glitch area of the game (which are well known for their extreme random glitchiness) and produced the glitch menu. However, I haven't been able to conclude that it' s a glitch. Certainly perplexing.

arseniy

I have never heard about it. I not see much descriptions of the outside of map glitcheness as well.
The thing I found recently is how to use the Cheating in VNes and able to set the Weird weapons by change 003C adress. But I also wonder can this weird weapons be upgraded.

This menu he describe looks pretty fun and not like random glitch. I think should keep that idea for the sequel. :bluelander:

tummai

I think your conclusion is right optomon.  I haven't found any debug mode in the code.  I played through the whole game once with FCEUXD SP's Code/Data logger on, and almost every byte in the ROM file was flagged as used.  The ones that weren't were either FFs or lone stray bytes here and there.  Conclusion: there is nothing hidden in the game.
My NesDev blog: http://tummaigames.com/blog

arseniy

Quote from: tummai on March 10, 2010, 07:44:08 PM
I think your conclusion is right optomon.  I haven't found any debug mode in the code.  I played through the whole game once with FCEUXD SP's Code/Data logger on, and almost every byte in the ROM file was flagged as used.  The ones that weren't were either FFs or lone stray bytes here and there.  Conclusion: there is nothing hidden in the game.
Seeing lots of glitches in place out of map I think it could be a result of random mix of glitches.

laizhensil

Greetings...

That user was me.  :)

I believe in my history somewhere is a more detailed account of it.

Sadly, that happened when I was a little kid playing my NES in the basement after lunch one day on a Saturday.  We had no idea what had happened, and because we were putting in random password letters and one just suddenly worked, we had no way of knowing what password we put in.

It remains a mystery to this day, perhaps because my fuzzy memory.  I just randomly wandered back here today for no reason and saw this post.

Thanks for looking for me, though.  This game never ceases to amaze me.

*edit*

LOL I just realized I ended a post on that thread with the exact same sentence.  Weird...

optomon

Random codes placing the player off the map would have triggered the situation. That is allI know. I remember looking for this with back in the day, would like to see that mock up screen you drew. And not sure what Arseniy meant about the rectangle thing being the same, would like to see that screen shot.

arseniy

His paint link not works anymore. And I don't remember what it was. However I am sure I meant the rectange around the map. It also appears in your Secret Edition. This rectangle appears when player go out of map I think. Not sure. I used a found password to get out of map. Only later I figured how to walk through the walls and did not checked if it appears around the map after the player go out.