Fans are welcome!

Play this substantially Modified NES Guardian LEgend

Started by optomon, March 11, 2010, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubyC42

Umm... a glitch?

[located in the room accessible just a couple blocks left of Corridor 14]
My YouTube channel for gameplay videos [includes TGL: Secret gameplays!]

Are you a Text Role-player? We have a TGL-themed RP going on, feel free to join!

optomon

I changed a couple rooms in that area. Should be a save point, misentry for sure.

arseniy

Quote from: RC42 on October 10, 2012, 01:14:10 PM
Umm... a glitch?

[located in the room accessible just a couple blocks left of Corridor 14]

I have this all the time when play with glitch weapons.

RubyC42

Quote from: arseniy on October 10, 2012, 10:23:02 PM

Nah, this one was total legit play - haven#t really messed about with this mod's Wonderworld just yet.

Are you a Text Role-player? We have a TGL-themed RP going on, feel free to join!

arseniy

Quote from: RC42 on October 11, 2012, 12:43:28 AM
Quote from: arseniy on October 10, 2012, 10:23:02 PM

Nah, this one was total legit play - haven#t really messed about with this mod's Wonderworld just yet.

I call wonderland only the glitch plays and plays outside of map. So it's like cheating/hacking.
But using Anegorami's plugin for map and save profile is not hack. It's 100% fair play of the exact game.

arseniy

Played the game now. Got up to 3rd key -
Beat the medusa miniboss . Opened 4th door - nice puzzle!
And I m so happy the blue Optomon wasn't harder than original(tho you can get more shields there) so I beat him from the first try using my usual tactic with repeller .

Not know what the boss in the corridor 4. And also there is the yellow Zib Zub in that overworld. Wonder if same tactic will work on him. I just move a bit to the side and then Zib Zub keeps jumping around me and I shoot at him with whatever  :redlander:
The difficulty now is really higher than the original. Clawbot in previous area did much higher damage. Still was able to beat him with double sabers stating at the top.

P.S.
I m playing without save states. I use MaPs plugin for watch map progress and save progress in the blue landers rooms.

RubyC42

arseniy

I just got there too ^_^
Picked the saber because I don't use Bullet Shield.
Also I was able to beat overwolrd Zib Zub same way. Maybe with fireball would be even easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYOMu_COYUI

P.S.
this is the end of fight he took more than you see in the video. Maybe 2-3 times more  :redlander:

P.P.S.
Of course it's easy when you find out some best tactic. I bet it would be hard for player who beat original TGL only once.

RubyC42

Quote from: arseniy on October 11, 2012, 11:02:24 AM
Picked the saber because I don't use Bullet Shield.

Also I was able to beat overwolrd Zib Zub same way. Maybe with fireball would be even easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYOMu_COYUI

lol, my only worry is ending up with a upgrade to an already level-3 weapon when the other one is stuck at level-2, THAT is usually my trouble

And i am more a defensive player, so i don't mind taking my sweet time with bosses with low-hitting weapons so long that I keep my chips and HP in check throughout [certainly true when I fought the boss at end  of Corridor 4] although i have to see if i can use this tactic in later areas...

and i just did the unspeakable... i accidentally forgot to record me fighting the boss of Corridor 5 and saved my state as i headed to area 6 >< - oh well, i guess viewers will have to deal without the not-so-epic fight that made me lose 60 EEs because i ran out of chips

Ratix

has anyone gone through flight mode yet?
vertical shooters always have the best advantage on the nes in my opinion. the nes slows down if more objects are on a horizontal line then vertical.
it could be Hblanking stuff or whatever.

RubyC42

Quote from: Ratix on October 12, 2012, 07:14:49 AM
has anyone gone through flight mode yet?
vertical shooters always have the best advantage on the nes in my opinion. the nes slows down if more objects are on a horizontal line then vertical.
it could be Hblanking stuff or whatever.

the "TGL" mode? I plan to do that once i pass the game

Ratix

optomon so far its been curve balls for me. the bosses are a lot of fun. i haven't come across the really insane bosses yet where even with full sheilds they take a ton of health away like the red dragon. are the bosses even tougher then that guy?

cool guy edit

i love it so much man its even better then i remembered it. at 1st i was thinking did i not explore enough? i never came across a chip expansion till i got through 3 corridors then i found 2 and went down to the store and got the two powerups that were for sale. the blue lander and i think the circle shot. (held the start button)
then i got to area 3 and took down the password. i wish i had more time for the game its such an experience. and of course who can forget this version of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqV_uqt1TMo
i still have the rom image.
each version you pump out seems to be different. do you know off hand if the game is the same size as the original? or was the game expanded from the current rom.

optomon

On that last question, the game is the same size in terms of memory. But in order to accommodate some new features, some stuff had to be cut out, mainly some of the text. I scrapped one of the enemies, which was the small circle that spits out tons of bullets. It only had two subtle appearances in the game I think, and the extra space in the rom it vacated was immensely helpful for created some of the new bosses.

The red dragon is still in Corridor 10, so it's hard to say if he is out-toughed, unless you know how to kill him effectively. There's a couple more late in the game that do relatively heavy damage than in the normal game, and I had some hard time balancing their fairness (not sure if too easy/too hard)

arseniy

Optomon,
Anegorami needs your help to know something about RAM! But he hesistate to ask I think. Mayb you not know but he made that his plugin now reads the type of rooms from game memory. So now his FCEUX plugin draws the map even at your modified version! However he don't know the right adresses to read the features from the rooms. He need that to draw markers on the room - bosses, corridors, landers and maybe the rooms with messages. Could you help him with that?
http://theguardianlegend.com/forum/index.php/topic,1815.0.html

Ratix

hey guess what remember how i had that issue with that one room? its back in version 3.0 this time though im capturing a unique thing that happened. a bit late on it but its so crazy i had to youtube it.
edit in the vid in shortly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3_xGtvhWc