Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Play this substantially Modified NES Guardian LEgend

Started by optomon, March 11, 2010, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlastorSX

Okay, difficult is an understatement. F**k that boss! Lol. Unless you find a solid strategy, no matter how much you've played TGL will go out the window. If there were meteors to help better supply items like corridor 21, it may be a bit easier, but you may as well get used to epic dodging if you didn't save a ton of EE's. Epic hack though. I hope I can beat it and join the club. :-p just have to find a good strategy is all.
"Nothing Is True... Everything Is Permitted..."

Ratix

for what boss? the orange clawbot? i found it to be much easier if you goto the corner and time it just right with the fireballs. the missles should go off screen and disappear.

arseniy

Recorded the battle with Golden Optomon, it's processing on youtube now.
Then went to 8th area and found completely awesome tactic against the Red Grim Grin :grimgrin: in the room.
Haha! I m so lazy fighter and always looking for a most cheating tactic XD
Will upload it sometime soon too!
Not a single EE was used and fight was pretty easy :redlander:

AlastorSX

I used the duel sabres on the orange clawbot. He couldn't touch me and was dead in seconds :-) I am past corridor 21 and Naju is gone. It's the final area that is killing me.
"Nothing Is True... Everything Is Permitted..."

Ratix

optomon

Hahaha maybe I should have programmed the level 2 fireball to be slightly faster than the player at 5 shield speed.

teremochek

Optomon,
You're an angel.
3.0 hack very impressed. :heart: :heart: :heart:

arseniy

I finished the 3.0.
Here is some thoughts. First good.
Most awesome things in the game are:
Fleepa in overworld
New puzzles
Red dragon. Now that's not a boring boss. Also grenades are most useful against him.
Final stage with changed pallete. Just made me feel happy.

Now the downsides.
I left questioned - what is the tactic supposed to be against the orange ClawBot? I have no idea. Did not wanted to figure out and just stand in the corner with double saber. I have no idea if possible to beat him without that hack tactic?

There was only one eye base boss right? Could be 2 of them.

Polypus boss. It's so easy everywhere. Just boring boss that you shoot with sabers or fireball for the final one. Would be cool if there was an eye base boss instead of that boring polypus or at least a crab(there was only one crab boss right?)

Confusion with the hint "he doesn't like of light" If it was somewhere in the same area. But it was in other area. So confusing. Took me 30 minutes to figure out that puzzle...

Chips/Shields upggrade. I m not sure about it but I got 8 shileds in the game but it displays only 7. Does it mean I made stupid choice by took 8th shield instead of chips upgrade? Would be better to not give the option to choose upgrade in this case.

The room of other key in other area. I used a map plugin so I could see that I have a passage not visited. But how would other player play without map. Not sure if it was a good idea to have a room like that.

There was not crystal boss.

optomon

I'll admit, the orange clawbot is probably the only boss in the game that can't be defeated without being cheap, and had difficulty balancing it. The idea was to get in a sweet spot next to its claws while a missile is fired, but the missiles are still quick and powerful without using EE. His HP might be a little high.

One eye bass boss. Hard to make this boss challenging really. Only room for one, unless I decided to shaft one of the bosses into the overworld. Though it does make me wonder if the same type of boss could appear in another area, like fighting a bunch of volcanoes at the end of a crystal corridor.

I initially programmed the hint to appear a second time in Area 6 from the round creature, think I  should have probably left it that way?

The only thing I can think of on the polypus might be to up the hatchling count, or who knows, haven't really looked at its code.

The shield, the reasononing behind that was in case the player showed up with fewer shields than normal and bypassed upgrades earlier in the game. There are eight in the game, but two in shops (and if you buy the first shop one early on, you will not have the money to buy the second one in the shop). I also kind of assumed that the player would have had the 7-shield cap in mind. Maybe the lure of the shield is too deceiving?

The other keys in other areas I thought were fine, just the player would remember to come across it again when they had the key. They are almost always shops.

And which crystal boss? I thought he was in area 5. He gives you a shield upgrade, so I know you killed him, unless it's something else.

arseniy

This miniboss was there? I can't even remember. Maybe he was so easy that I did not noticed it exist there as miniboss.

Also about the final boss. The red one is always vulnerable and also when I killed him I won. So I beat only the red one.

optomon

Now THAT is a glitch, and was wondering if someone would come across it. It's a priority 1 fix.

arseniy

Oh. I thought because you made them just like clone bosses I make with RAM.
When I make clone bosses then I win when I beat the original one and stage is completed just like I had in this.
Lol I was lucky then. Or maybe it's the emulator? fceux-2.1.5-win32

optomon

The red one I'd technically the boss, but should not be hittable until the other two are killed first. A glitch allows him to be hit even while not attacking, which he doesn't until he's the only one left.

Golbez

I finally beat it. I hadn't been reading this thread much because I saw there were some hints and clues given away (like Corridor 6) and I didn't want to read any spoilers. Fantastic remake. My sense is that no one only one person ever will play this on a cartridge, so in addition to getting rid of polypus, you could get rid of the Save area and any associated info with that, to make more room for the game.

When I had got up to the last boss, I only had the second level of four items: the fireball, dual sabers, and whatever the two things on the right are (one is the circular ball shield that is displayed as 5 little balls in a circle, and the other is the two parallel beams you fire). I haven't quite looked into the map addon yet, so I guess it's possible I overlooked a room. I suspect all of these were offered in Chip sales. I know one time I bought the speed fire, thinking that might make a difference. Then I found out I could use the emulator to adjust the "turbo" setting and rendered this useless. Also, I did go for the first shield, because I thought there might not be more shields available than you can utilize, and I didn't want to be handicapped. So yes, the extra shield is very alluring. And 8 shields are apparently no better than 7. Good to know!

Oh, and I think I bought a 2nd speed up (I remember these had a dramatic effect in the original game) just to see how different it may have been later in the game. And the answer was no different. Another totally useless purchase. It didn't upgrade the fire rate in the least.

Maybe it's because I read a little about Corridor 6, but I figured it out before I even left the area. And I never saw the other clue about it. I just tried a few of the tactics that had usually disarmed some of the locks, and eventually I was right :) Took me about a minute of persistence. I loved it though. A stubborn room: Go away!

The boss fights were awesomely ridiculous. The trapped eyegore was spectacular. And a beast to kill. Until I found out I could hide in the cracks of the walls, protruding just enough to fire my blaster and lob grenades at him. Then I was set. =P I also hugged one side of the screen and lobbed grenades at Gold Optomon's mouth (because my fireball was still lvl 1 at him), which destroyed his mouth sticks on that side and the bullets he fired. So I was mostly protected, unless I screwed up the timing/location of the grenade.

Fighting the dragon on foot was sooooo easy. That you can turn sideways and shoot his mouth with fire/blasters, he didn't stand a chance. I think maybe I had my 2nd fireball upgrade for him then? I don't quite remember. But it took out all his circle spray fire.

And the final boss had destroyed me for a long while, until I wised up and started paying attention to his pattern. Then I focused on the one target first, and they then fell like dominoes. Although it's quite a dirty trick that he can go through the screen ;) Awesome movement programming though.

So really, my only complaint is that I didn't know which items would end up being extra and unnecessary, so I could avoid them. Sometimes when I'd see a weapon for sale, I'd expect that it's one that I could pick up later. So maybe another run-through is in order. Excellent work. Thanks for all your efforts!

optomon

The final boss has very volatile data programmed to it. The way you fought him is the intended version. I'll need to RE him for sure.

I plan on having this game on cart, and hope others do as well. I thus intend to keep the password system.