Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Thoughts on the Labyrinth

Started by Manna, February 19, 2011, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manna

So, as I said in my intro thread, I've been kicking around what I'd want to see in a TGL sequel both on my own and with friends over time, and as easily sidetracked as I get with it, I do always kind of come back to it as a 'main' dream project.

One thing I always sort of felt kind of lacked in the original was the overworld/exploration segment. I know it was partly there to let you wind down and recharge/power up in between shooter segments, but it kind of felt like it was lacking in 'big moments.'

Okay, yeah, it was an NES game.

I kind of see any attempt at a new game needing to put some extra emphasis on the walking mode. Maybe make some of the mini-bosses more 'thoughtful,' like puzzle battles or something. Hell, you could even have some of the 'real' bosses appear in this mode- perhaps a 'larval' Fleepa run-in before fighting him for real in a Corridor. I'd love to see the battle system turned into something akin to Secret of Mana- with Guns! The existing 'basic weapon on one button, special weapon on the other' setup is already great. Can you imagine the game with Smash TV style dual move/aiming controls to make for some more intense segments?

Another thing I kind of thought would be nice, if the Areas get tougher, the 'hub' zone might be more hospitable... maybe a 'town' or base camp of sorts for you to re-energize, upgrade, maybe even... craft items? I personally think it would be awesome if there was a way for players to make their own Guardian 'build,' if someone decided they really favored the Saber Laser or a spread gun type attack and would rather focus on that.

arseniy

So like unlimited upgrade for the secondary like in RPG games?
I would not make adventure mode too tough. Maybe more puzzle elements and quests and exploration. The SHMUP mode should be more intense and adventure mode should be more relaxed to play IMO. If both modes tough there wont be contrast. The big moments there would be nice tho. In SHMUP big moments is obviously an awesome bosses. Could there be something different in adventure I wonder :eyeblue:

coinilius

It was mentioned earlier in another thread, but I could definately see the benifit of adding in a 'dash' type feature in the adventure mode, allowing you to traverse a bit quicker.  More puzzle elements in the adventure mode could be nice as well, creating some more variety in those sections.

arseniy

I do not know Smash TV dual style controls. Explain or video link?

Manna

In Smash TV, you had the option of using controller 2 as a second joypad so you could shoot in any direction while having full motion on the other d-pad. Kind of the precursor to dual-analog controls. The whole game was like a series of rooms where enemies would flood in from all sides, so it was a big help.

I think the thing I'd like to see most in the Labyrinth would probably be things along the line of more involving puzzles to open up the Corridors. Some of them were pretty clever to start with (especially in those pre-internet, what the hell does "Wait, wait, wait forever..." mean days.) Maybe the walking sections should be more about brain teasers than Super Crazy Boss Time.

coinilius

QuoteMaybe the walking sections should be more about brain teasers than Super Crazy Boss Time.

That is the direction I would go in as well (although there could be some more 'puzzle' based mini-boss encounters as well, perhaps?) 

UserK

Quote from: Manna on February 19, 2011, 07:48:22 PMCan you imagine the game with Smash TV style dual move/aiming controls to make for some more intense segments?
Yes!
Quote from: Manna on February 19, 2011, 07:48:22 PMAnother thing I kind of thought would be nice, if the Areas get tougher, the 'hub' zone might be more hospitable... maybe a 'town' or base camp of sorts for you to re-energize, upgrade, maybe even... craft items? I personally think it would be awesome if there was a way for players to make their own Guardian 'build,' if someone decided they really favored the Saber Laser or a spread gun type attack and would rather focus on that.
Some of this has been elaborated in the "weapon buffers" section. I think that would be fairly intuitive. We need to email this guy a day for the great work.

I had an idea about this a couple of weeks ago. I believe its inner core derives from a manga called Guyver. In this story, the protagonist is equipped with a bio-mechanical suit very similar to System DP in concept. Although its protection against extreme conditions such as deep space is unproven (as long as I've read), combat features are top-notch.
System DP seems to provide way less combat performance with increased sustainability - but is it sufficient for long-range space travel? Perhaps it might stop the host from aging, but it seems unlikely it could deliver super-light travel alone. The extreme compactness makes it a very nice piece of tech even without those features.

This is why I considered system DP would eventually feature "modules". One would be the "long range travel module" and another could be a "tactical support module". One of those could land in the hub and provide upgrades over time.

arseniy

So it would be also same as walk with WASD shoot with mouse in any direction

Manna

Yeah, that'd be the PC friendly version.

RandomSpriter

Making use of the Mouse during Bird eye would probably make the game rather easy, as I figured out that Controls would be the main control system for the game. If anything I wish to keep it purely Keyboard with no usage of the mouse.
Trust me, with the idea I have, you'll not be able to use your mouse anyway.

As for the hub, there'll be the "ship" that you travel in has the hub and the "upgradeable craft" area, also where you can stock up rather fast with a recharge to max on all.

The modules you can find around the Planets however has a different "coding" due to that it's Alien, I always found it weird that Miria/Alyssa could just take a random "thing" and get an upgrade with no pre knowledge about the weapon.

Aaaaalthough, there's a fictional explanation I have for that you might see if I get the game done... ~

Also, about the Adventure mode, as said before, it's something of a "breath" between the heavier SHMUP parts, doesn't mean that it'll always be a breeze, as there'll be some bosses or normal enemies that WILL be dangerous to you, especially the "walkers" you might see later.
Also, with the Gamma Phase, there'll always be a huge danger of actually dying pretty fast as it's hunting you through the game during the allocated Time.
Also, most of the Story(Optional of course.) will take part in the adventure mode.

arseniy

I would not say adventure mode is a "breath" and you know that. TGL would not be so special if it has no adventure mode.

In the indie games some games are called exploration type. Adventure mode has exploration element and it's very important for gameplay. In the sequel the map might show only the rooms you have visited. So you will see the rooms you visited and know where to go to visit new room. The new keys might shown on map somehow too. So you will see new spot you need to go for.

RandomSpriter

Of course there'll be a map of some kind like the original, it helped out alot of times.

I'm still wondering though, Metroid like or just blue squares like TGL?
But I don't want people to eternally stare at the map and see "Aha, there's a secret" like in the Castlevania style, Hmm.

zeldatimelinefreak

About the use mouse to aim thing... That wouldn't go so well on a laptop. Just saying... Anyway, the "overworld" should be more like Zelda dungeons, where you need a specific puzzle solved to continue, or you need a specific item to reach this area. Off topic: I also suggest "all range mode" in some of the corridor bosses (just putting things in the mix :P).
Fleepa, Optomon, Grimgrin, and Clawbot would like to "personally" welcome you to Naju. Have a nice day!

RandomSpriter

All range mode?

And don't worry, we'll hardly not even use the mouse in the game I am trying to make
And of course there'll be some puzzles you need to solve, like the keys in the original TGL.

zeldatimelinefreak

All range mode like in Star Fox 64. Free movement around a map that turns when you turn. Like say your ship gets to the left side of the screen and you keep pressing left; the camera will start to turn/twist/whatever left. Get it? XD
Fleepa, Optomon, Grimgrin, and Clawbot would like to "personally" welcome you to Naju. Have a nice day!