Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Hello Dudes

Started by phubans, February 19, 2011, 11:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phubans

Hey all, I've had my eye on this forum for a while, but haven't gotten around to joining until now.

My name is Paul Hubans, better known to most online communities as phubans. I'm an independent game developer living in San Francisco, CA with some commercial industry experience as well as years of hobbyist experience. The commercial games I've worked on are World of Goo, Dark Void Zero, Duty Calls, to name a few, and my personal work includes a game called Madhouse and one called Sword of Legends, among countless other titles I never got around to finishing :P

The Guardian Legend was and still is one of my favorite games of all time, and it holds the top spot alongside Crystalis as far as NES titles go. For years, I've been inspired by this game and wanted to make a sequel ever since I played it as a kid. I remember the first time I played it was probably in '89 or '90 and I was probably about 8 or 9 years old. I remember the first boss was so frustratingly difficult that I was on the verge of tears and I angrily demanded my mom take the game back to the store and get her money back... lol. I'm so glad she didn't. It wasn't easy, but it was easily one of the best games I've ever played once I got further into it.

In 2003, I made some really crappy 3D art for my idea of a remake. Earlier this year or maybe last year, I made a much better rendition of the first area of NAJU in 3D and I was going to post it here, but I never did because it wasn't finished and I didn't want to get people's expectations up (but I will post it here once I find it on my other computer).

Well, more recently I've been working on something for the past 4 months that I will be finishing within the next week and releasing on the 25th. It's a full length* game that I would consider a spiritual sequel to our beloved TGL. The game is kind of a tongue-in-cheek reference to the indie game developer scene, so most people who aren't familiar with that world probably won't get the references. But the game itself is styled after TGL, in name, gameplay, and spirit, which is why I wanted to share it with this community :)

I will make an official announcement for this game upon its release next week, but in the meantime here's some media and screenshots for your viewing enjoyment: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=640573969&aid=272175

*The game features 5 uniquely themed areas, over 125 rooms, 8 weapons, dozens of enemies, 10 bosses, and it takes at least an hour to complete from start to finish... Oh, and a cameo appearance by the Blue Lander!  :bluelander:

arseniy

I see that by screenshots :)
The crappy art for TGL 3d looks nice BTW  :redlander:
Welcome man! :heart:

RagnarokNAJU

Yeah like Arseniy said, your'e "crappy" screen shots look really good!

Im looking forward to seeing this new game, when you release it i will check it out..
Im a total retro gamer, and its good to see new material come out that has that feel..

:3
~~ Cleaveland

coinilius

Both the 3d TGL screenshots and your new game look really good :D

UserK

Welcome Paul. Looks like you're going to nail down the TGL remake problem for ever. TGL forever?

Daenorius

Hail and well met, Phubans!

I can say that your 3D art for TGL does not look so crappy to me; surely refinable, but not as crappy as you would say. Chapeau! And kudos for your 'NES' game too! I bid you welcome to the forum and I hope you will enjoy your stay and that you will give us a new TGL game as well!

arseniy

Ya! Everyone would be happy to have the game with a quality like that. The only necessary thing is good gameplay. The graphics like this would be enough to anyone hungry for the sequel  :3

teremochek

laizhensil

Welcome, welcome.

I suppose there will always be a small rift between traditionalists and progressives.  I happen to think that a TLG Remake would be better suited in 2D with rich, beautifully animated sprites and textures (Metal Slug/Super Metroid/Castlevania : Symphony of the Night).

But I have to admit, your 3D modeling looks promising.   :D

RandomSpriter

Pretty impressive ideas there and art, Phubans.

phubans

Thanks for the welcome, all! I'm glad to see you have such an active community to honor this incredible classic!  :3