Updates:

Fans are welcome!

"Zelda 2" TGL cover.

Started by optomon, March 29, 2010, 01:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optomon

As many of you know I'm a rom hacker. My strong point is music hacking.

At one point I was working on a Zelda 2 hack that never quite panned out that was going to have a completely different plot from the original game and basically had no trace of Zelda whatsoever. I intended the game to have a series crossover; the final stage would be like the crystal area from the Guardian Legend and the game's final boss would be yours truly. The only surviving bit from this idea are tracks 8 & 9 from the game's soundtrack. Thought you guys might find it interesting.

Rabbit.nsf

arseniy

I m not zelda player so please explain - is this your original music or is it Zelda's music mod by you or?

Grimgrin

Very nice! It sound like the music engine for the game. Zelda II is a fun game too.
Currently extending the game.

optomon

Quote from: arseniy on March 29, 2010, 05:38:25 PM
I m not zelda player so please explain - is this your original music or is it Zelda's music mod by you or?

It is Zelda II music engine modded by me.

Grimgrin

Currently extending the game.

MoonCloud

arseniy

I mean you written the melodies by yourself? It's pretty good!
is it possible to put different engined music into some game - TGL for example? For example TMNT 3 into TGL

optomon

Quote from: arseniy on March 31, 2010, 12:14:45 AMI mean you written the melodies by yourself? It's pretty good! is it possible to put different engined music into some game - TGL for example? For example TMNT 3 into TGL

That's a good question, but it's something I'm not 100% sure on.   

I suppose it's possible, you could theoretically cut and paste the engine code from one game into another and assign different addresses, but the process would be very painstaking. In the case of the TMNT 3 engine, it's very likely that it uses more memory and it might not be possible to duplicate on TGL without drastic measures, like cutting out large parts and significant aspects of the game to accommodate it. A TGL engine in TMNT 3 however would seem much more feasible.

tummai

Does TMNT3's sound engine use samples?  If so it probably can't be ported over to TGL.  TGL is full at $C000 (where samples must go), plus I think I read somewhere that the shooter engine relies on DMC IRQs to do something with the status bar.  I don't really know the details, but it sounds like they'd butt heads.

Space is also an issue.  TGL has almost no space free in the ROM.  The sound engine is around 2500 bytes not including the actual music/sfx data, and it shares a bank with the Title Screen code and data.  TGL also uses some pretty clever tricks to save ROM space on rhythm tracks, which helps it fit so many songs in the limited space it has.  A replacement sound engine would have to be similarly light to fit.

But in theory it could be done if the above issues aren't a problem.  The most annoying part would be going through the code and changing all the hard-coded song numbers.

But why would you want to?  TGL has awesome music I think. :)  The drums are simplistic, but there are so many explosions and noise going on in the game that I think a complex drum system would be wasted on it anyway.
My NesDev blog: http://tummaigames.com/blog