Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Rikerek - The Guardian Saga

Started by 7Soul, October 12, 2012, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7Soul

Progress: ####################

Story

In the year 2201 Earth's space security agency detects an anomaly in the outskirts of our galaxy. Further investigation of it's radiation revealed it to be an enormous mass of dark matter, much greater than any quantity ever found. They kept an eye on it, as they were interested in the origins of such rare anomaly.

Eight years later, they noticed the mass changing direction, and it was heading towards earth. It's approach was slow, but certainly fatal.

A fleet of space ships is sent in its direction, taking few weeks to reach it somewhere near the orbit of Pluto.
The mass revealed to be a massive ship, the size of Earth's Moon. Not much could be uncovered, as the ship immediately destroyed all of the human ships.

And the same happened to anything Earth tried to throw at them.

(story to be continued)

The Game

The base game will be a lot like the original. You go around the ship in the Exploration mode, and then enter the corridors that are in Shooter mode.

This game introduces the concept of Resources, that you gather from dead enemies. They are: Energy, Biocell, Metals and Dark Matter.

-Energy replaces the Chips from the original game. It is the currency, and what your special weapons use as ammo. It's easier to find.
-Biocell is used to buy most low-level stuff, as well as health and shield refill. Can be found mostly by killing organic enemies.
-Metals are used to power physical weapons and to buy certain chips. You find it mostly by destroying scenery and metal enemies.
-Dark Matter is used in certain high-level upgrades and chips. It's really hard to find dark matter stable enough that you can pick up. Usually drops from bosses.

Character Progression

Character

- Level: You can level up just as the original game. Each level you get more HP and increase how much of each resource you can carry.

- Chips: Chips will be something like equipments in this game. You can buy them or get them from bosses.
There will be 3 types of Chips: Movement, Weapon and System.
Movement Chips affect your movements, eg: speed, dash ability
Weapon Chips affect your basic gun, eg: multiple bullets, damage against armor, shooting speed
System Chips affect other things, eg: see invisible enemies, get more item drops

Chips will each have a size, depending on how good it is, so you can equip fewer of the best ones, and more of the common ones

- Special Weapons: There will be 10 special weapons. They are separated in 3 categories and use the respective resource to be used:
Energy weapons, which uses Energy
Physical weapons, which uses Metal
and Prototype weapons, which uses Dark Matter

The type of weapon can be strategically used to deal with different types of enemies.

Other Items

- Random drops: when you kill any enemy or bullet you might get a random drop. These include health and shield refill, or resources.

Play

You can play the game that I made in two days, that started this project:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3954039/Riker%C3%B6k/game/index.html
Keys: C(confirm), X(shoot), Arrows(move)

The game is being made in HTML5, and it will be playable online for free.

Images

Title Screen

Shooter Segment (old image)

Exploration Segment

Menu

arseniy

Hey man! Have played the demo of the game already! Nice yo see you here!

7Soul

Today I remade the main character overworld sprite, and played around with the colors that will be in game

arseniy

7Soul

Yes. There's an option in the menu. I plan on having a few colors available at the start, and then you can find extra colors throughout the game. One thing I'm intending on doing is improving the exploration bit of the game.

7Soul

Working on the sprites. Diagonals are hard o.o''

RubyC42

Pardon me for saying this but... does her helmet/hair appear to have a bit of the "emo" style with one of the eyes covered like that?
My YouTube channel for gameplay videos [includes TGL: Secret gameplays!]

Are you a Text Role-player? We have a TGL-themed RP going on, feel free to join!

arseniy

Quote from: RC42 on October 15, 2012, 12:58:54 AM
Pardon me for saying this but... does her helmet/hair appear to have a bit of the "emo" style with one of the eyes covered like that?
Also Terminator 2's John Connor has this hair style

EinhanderZwei

Back in the 90-s this hairstyle was more associated with 'badass' rather then 'emo'. Take a look at this lady from UN Squadron:

arseniy

Well that's how John Connor looked to me back than - badass!

7Soul

These are the special weapons I have planned. The ones with an icon at the side are remakes of the ones in the game.
Not all weapons use chips as ammo

Energy weapons: Use Energy (chip) as ammo. Energy is common
Physical weapons: Use Metal as ammo. Metal is not so common
Prototype weapon: Use Dark Matter as ammo. Dark matter is rare

1- Fireball: Energy weapon, moves slowly forward. It's slower then the original.

2- Saber Laser: Energy weapon, short range, great power. Ignores some of the enemy shield.

3- Wave: Energy weapon, long range, high speed, go through enemies, can be directed. It's a lot like the original.

4- Orbiter: Physical weapon, orbits player. More powerful than the original.

5- Double Heater: Energy weapon, follows enemies, uses a lot of energy. Faster and more powerful than the original.

6- Side Jet: Energy weapon, short range, position on the sides of the player, high speed. A lot more useful than the original, it's faster and goes through enemies.

7- Magnetic Rings: Physical weapon, two rings come from the back and fly forwards facing the middle of the ship, destroys shields. Covers all sides of the ship in its movement.

8- Gravitron: Energy weapon, sphere that sucks small projectiles, deals damage on enemies touching it. You shoot it and it stays in place for a while before disappearing.

9- Twin Needle: Energy weapon, shoots at the closest target, destroys shields. Shoots fast.

10- Proton Charge: Energy weapon, lay a bomb in front, explodes by collision or when another one is shot, damage is lower far from center. It's similar to the grenade but more powerful.

11- Enemy Eraser: Prototype Weapon, destroys all enemies in screen, except bosses and shielded enemies.

12- Hammerhead: Prototype Weapon, lays an energy ball that stays in front of the ship. It damages everything it touches. The energy ball disappears over time and explodes in the end.

UserK

Maybe it's just me but... is it correct I don't take any damage?
After a while, I get no enemies... but the level keeps going on.

7Soul

Quote from: UserK on October 15, 2012, 11:10:51 PM
Maybe it's just me but... is it correct I don't take any damage?
After a while, I get no enemies... but the level keeps going on.
Yeah it's a test version, so debug is turned on by default. You need to press D to turn off debug so you can take damage.
An the level just keep going forever. When I made this, it was for a 48 hours compo, so I didn't have time to make an end to the level.

And here are some new sprites
I'm separating them by theme, or alien species

These are rock aliens:

And this is a mechanical enemy for the shooter section:

arseniy

Really nice  :3. Not look like rock aliens tho. An armored skin like turtle.
Are they going to fold into a sphere shape so they can fast roll around screen?(like armadilo in the games you know)

7Soul

Quote from: arseniy on October 16, 2012, 12:53:05 AM
Really nice  :3. Not look like rock aliens tho. An armored skin like turtle.

I am trying to create a little back story to each alien race. For this one:
"These spider-like creatures spend time burrowed and assimilate mineral particles into their skin. Over the years their exterior become solid as rock"

Quote from: arseniy on October 16, 2012, 12:53:05 AM
Are they going to fold into a sphere shape so they can fast roll around screen?(like armadilo in the games you know)

Good idea. Maybe when they see you they roll towards you