Updates:

Fans are welcome!

TGL Password Generator

Started by tummai, January 14, 2011, 07:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tummai

I wrote a password generator for TGL that outputs the password that is easiest to input.  It's web-based (python/django) and currently I can only run it locally.  If arseniy is able to set up his host to run django maybe he can host it, but if not I can make passwords on demand.  Here are the criteria:

• MaxHP
  • Guns (Max 4)
  • Shields (Max 7)
  • Bullet Speed
  • Chip Level
  • Score (Max 9999990)
  • Map Coordinates ([X,Y] anywhere from [0,0] to [31, 31])
  • Keys in possession
  • Weapons (which ones, what level, and how many EEs)
  • Which Corridors completed
  • Which pickups collected
  • Which minibosses defeated
  • Which shops bought

For example, here is the output when I max out the stats and start the game in the first room:

Fewest Unique Characters:
A9fP 9svO 6gvN zYfO
wMfM tAvw slwu Mj?I

Most Top Characters:
WVFV TJVU Q9UQ NtER
KhES HZUq 0QSl ii0O

Most Bottom Characters:
oqmm le6l iW6m fKmn
c!lj 3u5Z E7?b sh6f

I find the passwords with the "Most Top Characters" are the easiest to input.  So in the meantime, if anybody wants a custom password just reply to this thread and I'll make one for you.
My NesDev blog: http://tummaigames.com/blog

UserK

So those passwords all do the same thing?
That must be a crazy system!

tummai

There are actually 256 different possible passwords for each combination of stats/score/pickups/etc.   Basically the game takes all the information I listed up in "criteria" above and makes a long bit string out of the data, then it encodes the string using a key.  The key is a random number 0-255, which allows for 256 possible passwords for the same game state.  My password generator generates all 256 and then picks the ones that are easiest to input.

UserK

Ok, this makes sense. I suppose the random number is in the password itself. Quite amazing stuff, thank you.

arseniy

Tummai - can your password system find easy weird passwords like JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ?

tummai

Quote from: UserK on January 20, 2011, 09:14:19 AM
Ok, this makes sense. I suppose the random number is in the password itself. Quite amazing stuff, thank you.

Yes, that's right.

Quote from: arseniy
Tummai - can your password system find easy weird passwords like JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ?

Right now the generator takes the above criteria and uses the input to generate the passwords.  So the generator would produce that JJJ password if you supplied it with the proper input.  It would be a little challenging to do that, because you'd have to check all shops and powerups and corridors to see which ones are closed.

I could try to make a program that tries to generate all possible passwords and saves the ones that have less than 3 total characters or something.  I don't know if it will be successful - that's a big loop and it might lock up my computer - but it's worth a try.

tummai

Quote from: tummai on January 26, 2011, 04:27:46 AM
I could try to make a program that tries to generate all possible passwords and saves the ones that have less than 3 total characters or something.  I don't know if it will be successful - that's a big loop and it might lock up my computer - but it's worth a try.

This didn't work at all.  The program locked up.  I thought of another approach and wrote a password validater and passed it many easy passwords and saved the ones that passed the test.  This worked a lot better.  There are WAY more easy passwords than I thought.  Too many to post in this thread so I'll link to the generated text file:

http://www.tummaigames.com/tgl_pw.txt

Some of the passwords crash the game and some put you in an inescapable room, but they should all work.  If you find one that doesn't work ("WRONG WORD") let me know which one.  I could have a bug in my password validater program.

If you find any cool ones that are fun to play, post them here.  I'll start:

EEEE EeEE EEEE EEEE
EEEE EEEE EEEE EEEE

arseniy

ALAN OOOO OOOO OOOO
OOOO OOOO OOOO OOOO

Send outside of map with some weapons and keys already. I not know if this possible to back to the map bcuz it's always random.

CODE RGB

Hey guys! I'd like to make a password request if that's alright. can someone make me a password that puts me somewhere on the main map with just a few points away from my score being maxed out? I want to find out if the actual cartridge I'm using is the version that locks up the game after the score is maxed out or not. Thanks!  :)
Hoping and praying for a Virtual Console release someday!

arseniy

Quote from: CODE RGB on November 13, 2011, 11:16:45 PM
Hey guys! I'd like to make a password request if that's alright. can someone make me a password that puts me somewhere on the main map with just a few points away from my score being maxed out? I want to find out if the actual cartridge I'm using is the version that locks up the game after the score is maxed out or not. Thanks!  :)
that's an intresting idea. Maybe you will have to send PM to the guy who made password generator. If he not watches the topic he probably will not visit to check for request. But I hope he watches the topic.
BTW did some one tried that on emulator? I would try it on emulator as well.

CODE RGB

That's a great idea thanks! Also,one more thing. i realized today while playing that i am able to glitch up the game on demand rather if I'm in the main map or not. whenever i have EE's i can rapid fire them and at the same time go in and out of the select menu multiple times and the game will always freeze up! arseniy, can you also give this a try on your emulator to see if the ROM freezes up or not? I'd like to know if it's the system I'm playing it on or if it will happen on the ROM to.

arseniy

lol yes it's freezes! :bluelander:
But I used turbo button. Of course I did not see this on original console because that is mad idea to use EE rapidly haha! :heart:

CODE RGB

Thank you so much! I'm glad to know there is not a problem with the way my system is emulating the game.  awesomeplz

arseniy

Quote from: tummai on January 26, 2011, 11:34:46 PM
Quote from: tummai on January 26, 2011, 04:27:46 AM

This didn't work at all.  The program locked up.  I thought of another approach and wrote a password validater and passed it many easy passwords and saved the ones that passed the test.  This worked a lot better.  There are WAY more easy passwords than I thought.  Too many to post in this thread so I'll link to the generated text file:

Some of the passwords crash the game and some put you in an inescapable room, but they should all work.  If you find one that doesn't work ("WRONG WORD") let me know which one.  I could have a bug in my password validater program.

If you find any cool ones that are fun to play, post them here.  I'll start:

EEEE EeEE EEEE EEEE
EEEE EEEE EEEE EEEE

ZOMG tummai!!! I never opened that txt file before and it has tons of weird single char passwords  XD

AAlA AAAA AAAA AAAA
AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA

AAAA AAAA AAAA AAlA
AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA

AAAA AAAA AAAA AAAA
AAlA AAAA AAAA AAAA

BBB1 BBBB BBBB BBBB
BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB

BBBB BBB1 BBBB BBBB
BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB

BBBB BBBB BBB1 BBBB
BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB

BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBb
BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB

BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB
BBBb BBBB BBBB BBBB

BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB
BBBB BBBb BBBB BBBB

BBBB BBBB BBBB BBBB
BBBB BBBB BBB1 BBBB

CCCC CCUC CCCC CCCC
CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC

CCCC CCCC CC4C CCCC
CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC

CCCC CCCC CCCC CCYC
CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC

CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC
CCCC CCYC CCCC CCCC

CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC
CCCC CCCC CC4C CCCC

CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC
CCCC CCCC CCCC CC8C

CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCC
CCCC CCCC CCCC CCCa

everything else here -

AlastorSX

Wow, never knew about any of these passwords. I am definitely interested in the ALAN one since you said it takes you outside the map. Just found what I am doing in my free time :-)
"Nothing Is True... Everything Is Permitted..."