What kind of sequel is better - Direct/Non direct

Started by arseniy, January 09, 2010, 01:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of sequel is better - Direct/Non direct

Direct sequel of the game
10 (41.7%)
A story related to the original but with the other hero
2 (8.3%)
A standalone story based/inspired by the original game/Same concept as original game
12 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 24

arseniy

Direct sequel can be a problem with copyrights

Related sequel can be intresting but again a copyright problems might be

Non direct sequel heavely inpired by the original - labirinth base with separate rooms and corridors to fly out to shootemup mode. Also keys/doors etc...

TrickyCC

I don't think that we could get problem when the copyright as the company COMPILE is sort-of down
as of 2003.

I say we go for a direct sequel, that's my vote.

teremochek

I think architecture of game it is not necessary to change. Dynamics should be close to the original. And here the subject line can have sharp change.
In general continuation can be executed in classical style, and in new style. (3D).

Rynn Rayne

Too much time has passed for it to be a direct sequel, as a good number of the newer gamers would simply assume the original was a japanese only release until they got the background info on the first game, then they'd hunt down the NES ROM, assuming said sequel didn't have the original tucked away somewhere as an unlockable.

What I think would work best would be a remake - keep it as simple as the original - explore, find the key, get weapons, enter corridor,  kill boss, repeat. The only change I'd make to the original formula would be to have not only a boss to contend with, but also make it so you have to destory or deactivate some kind of failsafe on the destruct device at the end of each corridor(the only execption being, of course, the final corridor as Aryssa escapes from Naju). Aryssa is her name in the japanese version of the game, in case you didn't know.

In regards to who the main character would be, I'd say keep Aryssa, BUT change her appearance slightly. A good design I've seen has actually come via fanart over on deviantART, found at http://shadowxm1.deviantart.com/art/The-Guardian-s-New-Design-69181341   I mean seriously, do we need another female hero who shows off a lot of skin? We've already got a multitude of such female game characters, and if you take mods into account there's a bunch more - too many to list in either case. I'm not prude or "behind the times" - I appreicate an attractive video game character as much as the next person, but my point is, to me Aryssa showing off the majoriety of her bod wouldn't make sense. Maybe having a more revealing outfit as a bonus unlockable, ok that's one thing. But as the default outfit? Nope.

arseniy

I think the robot could make sense as well. Ala Macross. Also the Character in the TGL is a follower of Macross. I was told that one of the macross characters has a same name as TGL - miria. Well maybe the Aryssa is alternate name? I saw more often that her japanese name is Miria and english is Alissya or something.

Rynn Rayne

I could be mistaken about the name - the curse of the old NES games LOL. One name here, another name there, and yet a third name that we THINK is the official name ROFL.  :bluelanderbig:

I like the idea of how it's possible that she could be "remade" as a Macross-like robot, though if my remake idea was used, that would be quite a change, especially for us "old timers" who remember a female LOL(no offense to my fellow vetern gamers)

Viper Leo

as I say before, vote for a remake, keep miria and gave her a longer and/or detailed background, polish the visual a bit and add some new options, like weapon change in the middle of action, a map view in a screen corner when exploring, for the vertical shooter part, things like temporary shields, a single use special attack, maybe too horizontal shooting sections, and well, there are some ideas I think for now.

arseniy

Special attack? Hm... I not sure this game needs special attacks  :-\

Rynn Rayne

Actually, I could see each special weapon having it's own "special attack" that costs major power chips to do, in addition to requiring all upgrades for said weapon. For example, if the laser sword had, say two regular upgrades, you would need them, PLUS an additional upgrade to enable the special attack, and it's cost would be upwards of 500 power chips.

I know the above is impossible in the game but my reasoning is if TGL WAS remade using today's generation of console hardware, there would literally be no limits(or rather, no reason for a limit) to the number of power chips you can collect and keep in your inventory.

arseniy, this could actually be something that could tie in with the "secret rooms" we were discussig in another topic - your thoughts?

arseniy

Did you read I got idea that secret rooms is a wall that can be crushed with a certain weapon and also if leave area the wall HP get back to 100% so no chance to break it without know the weapon. On the other site I think we should let to save game in any room player in if there is no monsters.
OH well. So about the special attacks. The only thing I think is that might be an overpowering. If the super attack uses lots of chips then it will be used in boss battles mostly?
I think if it accomulates from something it would be better than a chip usage at any point. I mean it accomulates and then when u get special metr full it make a powerfull shot.
It could work like this
U shoot with certain weapon - special metr accomulates.
U switch to other wepon - special metr go 0.
This could give some tactic or something.
Really hard question. Of course a special attack for each wepon is cool but I just afraid it's very hard to find a balance to not make overpowered plane.

Quote from: Rynn Rayne on January 18, 2010, 06:07:52 AM
Actually, I could see each special weapon having it's own "special attack" that costs major power chips to do, in addition to requiring all upgrades for said weapon. For example, if the laser sword had, say two regular upgrades, you would need them, PLUS an additional upgrade to enable the special attack, and it's cost would be upwards of 500 power chips.

I know the above is impossible in the game but my reasoning is if TGL WAS remade using today's generation of console hardware, there would literally be no limits(or rather, no reason for a limit) to the number of power chips you can collect and keep in your inventory.

arseniy, this could actually be something that could tie in with the "secret rooms" we were discussig in another topic - your thoughts?

Viper Leo

If you prefer other term, what think about "stronger attack", after all they?re only ideas and concepts, and playing with them is a common part in proyects like this  ;)

arseniy

I pretty much think this will be open source project :bluelander:. I not pretend to direct it. It will depend on the opinions of the fans I m sure.
Just saying that I not sure how to make special/strong attacks to not overload the game and keep it balanced.

Quote from: Viper Leo on January 18, 2010, 09:52:22 PM
If you prefer other term, what think about "stronger attack", after all they?re only ideas and concepts, and playing with them is a common part in proyects like this  ;)

Viper Leo

let me show you some sketchs I done for a little grapic novel proyect ^^ http://fireleo05.deviantart.com/gallery/#Moon-of-Mind  , and this is an Original Character highly based on Miria and a bit of Rockman http://fireleo05.deviantart.com/art/the-Red-Angel-146913853 , her name is Dinna.

Rynn Rayne

As Viper Leo said, this is where ideas come out, hence my suggestion.

How exactly are you planning on making this arseniy? Will you, or your team, be using the original game as a base and modify it as necessary, or will this be an entirely new construct - you and/or your team will be making the game engine, character designs, etc.?

I apologize if you already stated this in a different topic, but I haven't had the time to look through every single topic here as of yet.

arseniy

Quote from: Rynn Rayne on January 27, 2010, 08:12:43 PM
As Viper Leo said, this is where ideas come out, hence my suggestion.

How exactly are you planning on making this arseniy? Will you, or your team, be using the original game as a base and modify it as necessary, or will this be an entirely new construct - you and/or your team will be making the game engine, character designs, etc.?

I apologize if you already stated this in a different topic, but I haven't had the time to look through every single topic here as of yet.
I not have exact plan yet. I m not programmer and not good drawer. The only thing I can suggest is to bring some ideas and make music for the game. The game will be based on many opinions by people who desire for a sequel for the original.
I think it could have point to make a game based on some game developement tool like Multimedia Fusion, Gamemaker and such. This could help create a "Level Editor" for people who would like to participate in work.
I would also invest my own money into this (if I had :bluelander:)
I think it should be open source project.
Such a smooth plan.
I created 10+ good flash games(and few great) by far so I m little familiar with game developement.