Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Practice Sprites(Concepts)

Started by RandomSpriter, May 06, 2010, 10:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandomSpriter

I'll add a few things here of sprites that we might use, it's mostly only for testing.

Firstly I need to find out about HOW big the screen size of the original NES/TGL in resolution, and possible also even what size of the tiles are in pixels.

Edit:
Total Screen: 256x240 = (W16x16)x16 + (H16x16)x15 Pixels
Tiles: 16x16 Pixels

And now for the little concept sprite tiles of the "Ruined City" landscape. Gonna need alot of time for this one.

The current WIP for the "City" ruins(Intro stage?)
Alot more to do. And just trying to get some ideas of what I could add to the ruins baseobjects, the textures and suchs comes into it later.
Edit: Rehashing the building pieces to try and get it to the same graphical base standard as TGL.
Current Concept sprites for Miria, Renia, Lydia and Maria.
Just something fun I tested out. :P

Simple test on how to draw boss sprites. Still need to tweak the face to give it a more horrofilled expression.

Current Ruined Alpha Test.
Current Ruined City Phase 2 Alpha Test

Current Ruined Alpha Test 3.

The current colour scheme for the "entryway" to the City Stage.

Hmm, testing out how to make the Water be "Smoother" and less pixelated stiffness during high speed scrolling.

Stage 1 Concepts.

Going to tweak their illusions further once I fix the Translate Background in GM.

arseniy

RandomS - I think we should do the game in 1024x768 or even higher standard. No need to stick to the NES resolutions. Lets leave 16bit to 199x.
I m sure it has more point to make a game into as modern as we can do. We are all for keep basics of original but not the technical basics. We should keep concepts, ambience, art style etc.

Do I missunderstood something?

RandomSpriter

No, you're not misunderstanding anything.

But think of how much sprite work there is going from 8bit to 199x.^^
It would take ALOT ALOT ALOT more time and work to create such a huge step.

Besides, I find making 8 bit alot more fun and easier then 16 bit(You should see my other Scratch Sprite project. :P.)

I'm not all bad for it, but I am only a amateur spriter. =/

arseniy

Well we would ask help from lots of artists also.
Of course game could look not very solid with sprites from many different people but oh so what?
Where is the other project?(Scratch Sprite)

RandomSpriter

It's still in the spriting stage, already fleshed out the story and pretty much made it ready to be done. But sprites takes a hell of a time to make due to scratch and my own "style" to it.

Here's the current one I'm working at.

Anyway, back to spriting, even though it may be increase, means I can just double the Tile sizes and do some minor changes per each. But it's really time consuming.

As for if we get more artists to make it, so far it seems I'm mostly the only one. >.<

arseniy

Artists wont join unless we have some working demo.
I have a good example. When I was make game PicPie Puzzler there was like 20% of artists agreed to let me use their pictures in the game but when I did plan to make part 2 and was sending letters to ask permission to use pictures and provided the link to the game there was 90% of people who agreed and I even have no room to all the pics also I can use only 1 picture from each author because thre is just no room for more.
So u see the difference?

Oh the PicPie 2 not out by some reasons tho it probably still have chance to be released.

+

you doing sprites in the pixel art style. Of course they take lots of time this way cuz you have to be so precise!
you should try to do pics not in the pixel art style. I m sure we wont have a limit to palette so doing some big picture and then reducing the size will make it look as sharp as you want(oh I not sure the right free program for reducing the pictures).

arseniy

RandomSpriter

Yeah, took me 1 week before I was happy with it. :P And I'm doing this as a hobby when I have nothing else to do(Which isn't often.)

That's why I enjoy doing these 16x16 sprites. So much less time and effort.^^ And still make it look nice.

Well, getting a working demo should be a number one prio, no?
We still got tons of things to do, Programming, sprites, story.
Even a intro stage alone would be a good start.

And yeah, Pixel art style when needed. that's just the best sprite I ever did. :P
Currently doing her animation sprites which isn't that high quality.

Just testing to see how tiles looks so far, and what I can add for "Diversity" to break the illusion of the sprites.

The colours aren't final of course, they are to be darker and more shadowy to see the attacks of the enemies.

The darker colours helps with the brightness that the original lacked. Need to tweak them abit more.

arseniy

Hrm... i not see a point making at least less than 1024x768 gfx.
I need to finish a game before look into Multi Media Fusion forums for some asnwers.

I think the ideological part is most important at the moment. Concepts, plot, interface ideas.

RandomSpriter

Which I am trying to potrait.:P
Start from the original style of the TGL and then build it up.

arseniy

the green seems intresting

I find it very intresting design but the cyan part is not good and looks dissbalanced and unnecessary for the cloths.

RandomSpriter

The Cyan part is supposed to look eyecatching. :P

Anyway, this is TGL forums. keep it to that, okay? ;)

arseniy

Quote from: RandomSpriter on May 10, 2010, 07:08:01 AM
The Cyan part is supposed to look eyecatching. :P
Hm... Well not really. Looks like glass for me. I not know english this way to explain how u can keep the dress without that cyan thing and same time having boobs part visible.

Quote from: RandomSpriter on May 10, 2010, 07:08:01 AM
Anyway, this is TGL forums. keep it to that, okay? ;)
Am I not?

RandomSpriter

It's basically see through plastic with the cyan color.
Different fashion tastes in that Game Universe. :P
And it was only meant as a show off of my other project sprite, it had nothing to do with TGL.

We're here to make a game of TGL. ^^

arseniy

Yes of course we here for TGL lol! I m not the one to ask that question ;D
Oh I thought it was some character for TGL.
No I not like that glass thing. Without it the dress would look as good. I not like the square shape of it. Maybe it would work for me with other shape. I m up for functional design person. I often not like many game dressing as it gives bad idea for people when they will try to have such dress for real :P(I not mean your girl's dress but gaming dressing)