Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Transform and fly from any open air area???

Started by arseniy, August 11, 2011, 05:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like if in possible sequel it would be possible to transform into plane and fly into space from any open air area?

Yes
11 (68.8%)
No
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

arseniy

I had this idea in mind a month or two ago. Would like to know what everybody thinks about it!
That could be cool if the player could transform into jet from elsewhere if air is open.

For the balance it might be done that you can land on any spot of the planet but only if it's safe enough. So you can fly away from monsters but you cannot land back.

You can't fly away from caves and dungeons.

You can fly away from bases/buildings but breaking the roof might give you damage. Some roofs can be too hard you can't break through them.

What do you think?? :redlander:

Xenoangel

:heart0: k
I believe that the ability to transform was the
soul of the game. this was an early game that
had pioneered the ability to both fly and walk
through it.
so to fly at any time it is possible, provided the area
your character was in was open air, would be a great
thing.
perhaps a lock mechanisim in the programming that recohnizes
which areas or scenes are walk only, or fly.
Alternately, it would be difficult to have the character transform
in every scene , unless it was a 3d game.
Shinpu-haado-ken!

arseniy

It would not be solid scene.
When you transorfm into jet you fly away from the walk area screen and then screen fades out other screen fades in. So you appear in top view vertical scrolling.
If it's the break through the roof then there might be 3 steps.
1) you fly away from top-side RPG view out of screen. Fade out.
2) Fade in. Still top-side RPG view of the roof and you break through it and fly away out of screen. Fade out.
3) Fade in. Top view side scrolling.

Fades out/in should be pretty fast BTW.

teremochek

On the surface of the planet should be a save point. When you find a point when it becomes available for a touchdown.

MoonCloud

arseniy

Maybe save game works for free if the room free of monsters? I think it's better for RPG/adventure/explore than checkpoints.

UserK

No.
How would we fill each potential fly area? One for each open space cell! Is this just a method of fast transportation?

• If not, the importance of the corridors is diluited.
  • If yes, I think this would be disruptive.
Green pyramids become useless as the player can escape.

But I think the idea of transformations could be very good! See tron's lightcycles. Perhaps tanks. Idea has potential but I'm just not sure about this. Naju does not have to be a maze at all. Being the hub a city, it might feature highways or something.
So we get RPG-puzzle-SHMUP-drive game. That's going to be interesting in multiple ways.  :)
But difficulty involved is scary.  :o

Bchulo

That does sound badass if there was an openworld version but in a sequel true to the original i think it would interfere too much with other aspects of the game.

I voted no  D:. but think you would have to try it out to know for sure.

Manna

It'd work alright in a big open 'sandbox' kind of format, but I agree; flying just any time would kind of take the novelty out of the corridor sequences. If you wanted to keep the idea there, in a 'traditional' play style, maybe transforming would be your 'fast travel' from save point to save point.

arseniy

Quote from: UserK on August 11, 2011, 09:41:07 AM
No.
How would we fill each potential fly area? One for each open space cell! Is this just a method of fast transportation?

• If not, the importance of the corridors is diluited.
  • If yes, I think this would be disruptive.
Green pyramids become useless as the player can escape.

But I think the idea of transformations could be very good! See tron's lightcycles. Perhaps tanks. Idea has potential but I'm just not sure about this. Naju does not have to be a maze at all. Being the hub a city, it might feature highways or something.
So we get RPG-puzzle-SHMUP-drive game. That's going to be interesting in multiple ways.  :)
But difficulty involved is scary.  :o

Well we talking about sequel where we keep adventure+SHMUP, walking the ground and flying into air or corridors but how we mix it not should be exactly like in original.

Well imagine a player. He associates himself with the character. So. How is it can be not awesome if player feel himself can be transformed into plane anytime and fly somewhere else? After playing such game he could imagine himself a cyborg who can transform to plane and fly to the moon or mars anytime. How can that be not awesome?

Answering the doubts above I'd say you limit it to the original game.

1) Why would green piraminds become useless? If player got into boss trap it means he locked from top from everywhere!
2) You can fly away every open air area but that does not ruin anything. There could be enough bases and dungeons where you cannot fly away from.
3) There is no need to fill every single ground coordinate with air areas. It is not considered how the air areas could be and how player will choose where will he land.
4) Player cannot land on dangerous areas(where there is a monsters) so that brings the fair limit. In balance when player become stronger the limit where he can land go down. Means the monsters become less and less dangerous because you develope.

UserK

Quote from: arseniy on August 11, 2011, 07:22:44 PMWell imagine a player. He associates himself with the character. So. How is it can be not awesome if player feel himself can be transformed into plane anytime and fly somewhere else? After playing such game he could imagine himself a cyborg who can transform to plane and fly to the moon or mars anytime. How can that be not awesome?
Well, that is effectively very cool. I can also recall a few graphical adventures in which you were required to use similar mechanic to travel across different settings and find objects to be used in different context. Good to support puzzle elements (in a multi-planet setting). But this awesomeness must be supported by adeguate content or the novelty will wear off.

Quote from: arseniy on August 11, 2011, 07:22:44 PM1) Why would green piraminds become useless? If player got into boss trap it means he locked from top from everywhere!
Using a dome of green pyramids? A roof of some sort? They must look the same as standard I suppose. Or perhaps not at all? Yes, there might be some sense in making boss encounters more epic and explicitly differentiate them. Yes, I believe I can now see the sense of this.

Ok, let's say it can be something like this:
Can always transform and fly when falling in free air (corridors).
Can blast of only from a blast-off-pad. As a line of thumb let's say there are at most three pads per-zone (minimum 1 per-block).

Ok?

But this is still only fast method of transportation? Or involves actual gameplay?
How does the feature interact with multiple-planets? If there are multi planets, is planetary travel the same?

arseniy

UserK - user decided transformation is the novelty! How to manage the flying over planet and between planets is the other question.

If there be corridors then there is no option to escape them and they will work pretty same as in original game. Linear sequence.

I did not think this to the full. I just come up with idea that transform into jet by player decision would be awesome. The Teremocheck's demo gave me that idea. Also his  demo gave me idea that the planets where Miria or other will travel will be those planets where Aliens produce monsters and used to fill Naju and a final planet destination she will discover by travell all monster planets will be the Aliens planet. But that is not necessary to be in sequel. It just come to me playing Teremochek's demo.

So again.
1) To make a good balance you can fly away from any open air but you cannot land area where it is too dangerous.
2) You cannot fly away from Boss traps because you locked from everywhere
3) I talk about possible sequel where the visuals can be changed and improved. So no need to attach this to original game.
4) No special points, player can fly away whenever he decides if the air is open. Like in the begining player can start mission on earth then go to starport, transform and fly to moon and from moon to mars and from mars to other galaxy(sounds like too much work for fanmade project but in commercial project that could work :) )
5) Not possible to fly away from dungeons because they are under ground.
6) Not possible to fly away from buildings but at some places roof can be weak enough to break through it. Or the buildings can be weak by themselves, hangars for example.

There are different options how to manage air and space areas. I not think out this yet.

UserK

I think it's worth investigating that.
But without all the details, it's difficult to say.

zeldatimelinefreak

When I thought about transforming at any time I was thinking of using the ability to leave the planet and go to another... I then thought of using the transformation to solve puzzles like maybe there's a huge gap in the way and you need to transform to get across... You could also fight enemies while crossing the gaps... Altering the directions of these types of flight patterns also seemed quite cool (flying the classic up as well as: left, right, and even down). Flight at any time could actually be useful for puzzle solving ideas in my opinion! So I vote yes!
Fleepa, Optomon, Grimgrin, and Clawbot would like to "personally" welcome you to Naju. Have a nice day!