Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Steel Seraph- An original game inspired by The Guardian Legend

Started by deepshock, December 09, 2014, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepshock

In a distant future, a civilization on a planet orbiting Barnard's Star braces itself for a planetary invasion by an assortment of unidentified extraplanetary species. You play as Seraphine Letourneau, a test pilot performing a routine exercise for a major technological research and development company, testing an experimental personal flight device. When you encounter an armed scout ship and are forced to subdue it, you return to the planet, use your tools and combat expertise and set out on a quest to eradicate the threat once and for all.

"Seraphine Letourneau, Test Pilot R-1D79A. It is Day 234 of Cycle 100, April 17, 2299 of the Galactic Standard Calendar. I was on a training mission with an experimental device , which was interrupted by an invasion by an unknown alien force. After a battle with some of them that I managed to survive, I touched down to the city only to find out that they beat me to it. Now, the city itself is teeming with them and as one who can take the fight to them in a new way, with this new device, I seek to help restore the city, and the planet, as best I can before the invaders can do too much damage. End log."

---------Character Overview

Seraphine Letourneau- Your character, a test pilot for the tech company, Fauconvert. Trained in an assortment of weaponry and flight devices from her draft term in the Planetary Defense Force. Her capabilities will increase even more as she aids the fight to save her home planet of Hera.

Fauconvert- Your boss, who adopted the name of the company as his nickname and kept his regular name a secret. He controls one of the four main tech research companies in Hera, and one of the larger ones in the Federated Worlds. He provides most of your main missions, and provides navigation during challenges and descriptions of new upgrades acquired. In the Fidelity demo, he is in his headquarters right next to the Awareness Crisis Trigger. When your shield gauge is depleted, this equipment will heighten your reflexes enough to give the illusion that time is slowing down, for a duration of 10 seconds. It requires 10 Crisis Gauge (1000 shield units worth of item pickups, which won't be hard to come by) to fully activate.

Marc-Andre Printannier

He gives you the Surge Shot, a weapon that allows you to fire in any one of 8 directions, ignoring aiming constraints from air stages or strafing. It is essentially the Energy Ball from TGL with the serial numbers filed off.

Miriam Devora-Parker

She gives you the Drones, a companion item that fires with you whenever you fire the basic repeater. It has considerable, yet limited health.

Altair al-Fayed

He gives you the Tumble dodge tool. This doubles the distance of your dodge, but the extra distance is vulnerable.

In the demo, these last three NPCs stand stationary next to their equipment, in the southwestern area of District 12 (the current overworld).

-----Controls
(Default, can be remapped)
W, A, S, D or directionals: Move
Z: Fire Repeater

X, C, V: Fire special weapons
Q: Strafe
E: Dodge (While pressing a direction. You can also dodge by double tapping the intended direction. This dodge gives you a small period of invulnerability.)
Esc: Pause Menu
Ctrl: Map
1- Save
2- Load
3- Remap controls (will reload previous save at this time)

----NOTES
There will be a two part demo to the game, already six months in development.

Fidelity- This will be the first air and ground stages of the game. This demo ends when you fight and defeat the Shutendoji, an ogrelike invader guarding the entrance to District 13 of Hera City from District 12. This is the demo as shown in the six month transitional.

Intensity- This will be a central hub with entrances to two air stages and two ground stages. It is designed to show off the later weapons, equipment and concepts in the game without spoiling too much of the game itself. It is already in development, but none of it is in the current demo.

Most of the art is still in development, and this transitional demo will have a lot of placeholders and unfinished sprites. This will change as development of the demo (and the game at large) progresses. My current artist is doing his best right now, and is responsible for the equipment icons already present.

Link here (Dec 9 transitional).

Steel Seraph developer.

www.facebook.com/steelseraph
www.twitter.com/steelseraphgame

arseniy

Add some screenshots maybe?
I'll try check later in Win8 cuz I work in WinXP and it not works under 32bit.

deepshock

It's good you mention that. I'll see if I can make it work under 32 bit/Win XP, in the meantime.

I'll also add some screenshots here:

http://imgur.com/a/sgquV  Three on Imgur and 4 in the attachment to this post. It'll look much better than this before long.
Steel Seraph developer.

arseniy

It looks like platformer mode there? And no starship mode?

deepshock

We haven't completed those sprites yet. The screenshot labeled 2 is of an air stage with pickups, and the boss that has Samus' ship as a placeholder is an air stage boss. The sprite we're working with will be more 'armored' than she is now, in addition to this, and will be dealt with in a way that won't have that artifacting. Finally, the 'B' placeholder tiles will be replaced with more visually descriptive tiles.

With the visuals in an early state (much of the work's been on the gameplay and the interface), I'd do better to have a video up of me playing to the demo's end.

jordan.realism.is/SteelSeraphTestRecording.zip This is one of me playing it in its crude, intermediate state.
Steel Seraph developer.

arseniy

BTW when you just update the post it doesn't add the mark on forum. So better to put a new answer sometime.
Why in walk area she shoots only upwards with special weapon?

deepshock

Something was wrong with a specific weapon aiming algorithm. I'm in the process of fixing it right now along with the music. I'll reupload when all of this is finished.
Steel Seraph developer.

arseniy

That's fine then. I thought that mayb you wanted to make it fire only upwards, which would be confusing.

deepshock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E6PnaThjO4

A new video sample- The first of the "Intensity" demo levels- Fast Flight.

Art is still incomplete, but this features the central hub of that portion of the demo, as well as Fast Flight itself and three placeholders for upcoming demo areas.

"Rusalochka" is going to be for a simplified version of a boss named Rusalka that will be fought later in the game.
Steel Seraph developer.

arseniy

Ah, it's not even a ship sprite yet.
It changes the directions of flight, is it going to be a side view of ship?
Those are walls, you have to avoid them?

deepshock

Those walls in the air stage will have to be avoided, yeah. They'll slow you down, and you get more points over time the faster you are. Ken will have the air sprites ready soon, and we'll be able to use side and inverted views of it. :)

Being able to change the direction of flight at specific points of progress in a flight stage will allow me a lot more range in creating flight stages, including a much later stage in-game where Seraphine is going to have to fly across a wide part of the city to deal with a major story point.
Steel Seraph developer.

deepshock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJItOxoXIQ&feature=youtu.be

An updated fidelity run (5:40), with significantly cleaned up sprites, including most placeholders. The air sprites are almost done, but not quite. There will be a fight with an upcoming boss (although its AI is not yet finished), shown as a video soon, too. That video will have all available weapons (including endgame ones) in their level 3 state.
Steel Seraph developer.

deepshock

http://youtu.be/8qZVKofLI4U

The Rusalka fight in the "Intensity" portion of the demo. The weapons used are level 3s, which tear through the Rusalka and its Vodniks, but repeatedly (and easily) defeating it allows me to show how the max shield gauge rises as you score points, of which Rusalka is worth 100000.

There will be far more to this fight (and better movement patterns) in the game proper.
Steel Seraph developer.

deepshock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RnC7KTCHhI

Here is a video in a 'projectile test' scene that isn't in any part of the demo, and won't be in the main game. I'm here in order to show off the recent HUD changes, the more detailed pause menu, and some of the weapons, crisis triggers and dodge tools most people haven't seen yet. More to follow as development continues.

There are some minor visual bugs with some of the weapons, and not long after this video I ran into some framerate weirdness. The next order of the day is addressing both issues before the next video.
Steel Seraph developer.

deepshock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw4-vv-FSQo

The third of four intensity demo stages: A full-sized air stage. I'm not sure what to do with the terrain here, but I'm going to apply some that a new artist (wht_dragon on twitter) has given me to some places.

Steel Seraph developer.