Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Talk about Themes in TGL

Started by laizhensil, November 25, 2010, 09:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laizhensil

Everyone derives different experiences out of playing the same game.  So what are some of the more interesting takes on TGL themes that you perceived while playing it?

I loved the...

-  A sense of the lone heroine, going on a very lonely, frightening and isolating mission because no one else could accomplish it.
-  The strange duality of natural creature enemies coupled with high technology enemies (Eyeballs one minute then laser beam shooting ships the next).
-  The comfort Miria must have felt in the Blue Landers, even though they aren't human and probably only semi-intelligent.  (What is their origin?)
-  The landscape of NAJU is haunting.  It's bleak (the music helps with this feeling too) and seems to have harsh conditions all over.  Snow, wastelands, crystal formations, etc.

arseniy

I remember like I was looking for a solve of some mystery. Later when I was able to understand plot I was very dissapointed bcuz I liked hang around on Naju. And it felt like to just destroy some intresting world for no reason.
I think plot of the original game doesn't fit the atmosphere the game has.
Bio-tech is not rare theme in the games and toons. However TGL has some difference. And I think I know why. They used the images of ancient creatures in the game. Like the time the dinosaurs lived and earlier.

UserK

As for TGL: the game VS TGL: the experience, I recall

• The exploration factor which was always a bit different. In most games, you don't really know where to go. For TGL, the destination was clear as soon as you entered the labyrinth. The "how to get there" factor played a major role in my feelings. I suppose everyone in the end checked all the rooms in the search for powerups.
  • The will to find the most effective weapon for each enemy. It's bad that after all weapons were just optional after a while.
  • The relative safety of the first maze, I often went there for refilling, the blue bank was awesome! I think the central hub was perhaps meant to really be a city or something, it's very regular, made of carefully stacked stones.
  • I always perceived the forest levels (especially mazes) rich with life.
I cannot remember more for now.

laizhensil

Quote from: UserK on November 29, 2010, 05:52:19 AM
As for TGL: the game VS TGL: the experience, I recall

• The exploration factor which was always a bit different. In most games, you don't really know where to go. For TGL, the destination was clear as soon as you entered the labyrinth. The "how to get there" factor played a major role in my feelings. I suppose everyone in the end checked all the rooms in the search for powerups.
  • The will to find the most effective weapon for each enemy. It's bad that after all weapons were just optional after a while.
  • The relative safety of the first maze, I often went there for refilling, the blue bank was awesome! I think the central hub was perhaps meant to really be a city or something, it's very regular, made of carefully stacked stones.
  • I always perceived the forest levels (especially mazes) rich with life.
I cannot remember more for now.

Good reply!  Yes, I caught some of those too.  :)

UserK

I suppose it is a good idea to drop a few lines here on a thing I figured out this morning.
I was thinking about the problem of "going from A to B" and recalled that in TGL, the mazes were room-based. Some time ago, I wrote a few things taking for granted "sealed" rooms were a good way to go. However, this mock-up seems to advocate for smooth transitions.

This is an issue. Another thing of the original game, maybe not a good one, was that traversing the mazes were essentially a sequence of small problems. One could enter a room, check it out in a glance and eventually roll back. I wonder what are your opinions on that.