Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Shoot Em Ups by COMPILE

Started by teremochek, March 22, 2010, 05:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teremochek

Aleste 2
20 years after the last fight with DIA51 an unidentified space fortress appeared and started an massive attack. Ray Waizen, the hero of the first Aleste game, was a serving officer on board the first space ship that's been under attack and sadly got killed. His nineteen year old daughter, who is also a pilot, must save mankind and take revenge of her fathers dead...
This second, MSX exclusive, installment of the Aleste series is as its predecessor: a very fast vertical shooter with a massive and extensive arsenal of weaponry. Many different types of enemy spaceships that are constantly attacking you and the area bosses are again huge screen filling bunkers.

Aleste Gaiden

The main difference of this vertical shoot 'm up with its predecessors Aleste and Aleste 2 is that in this installment of the series you're not flying a space craft, not even in a remote way. No, you are in control of a robot (maybe a humanoid). You are running around defending and attacking the enemy while avoiding obstacles and holes in the ground. For the rest it's pretty much all the same: it's fast, has many enemies, hard to beat level bosses and has lots of power-ups. If you destroy a space ship you will be rewarded with power-ups.

Blazing Lazers

Blazing Lazers is a top-down shooter featuring 9 levels of varied and fast-paced action. The story here is the usual save-the-world variety. You must pilot your ship against 8 super-weapons and ultimately destroy the menace once and for all.
The power-up system in Blazing Lazers deserves special mention. There are four main types of weapons, and each type of weapon can be upgraded several times to produce an incredible amount of firepower. In addition, there are secondary weapons systems that provide you with shields, homing missiles, multi-fire units, or super weapon power.

Final Justice

Final Justice is a vertical shoot 'em up game developed by Compile. In Final Justice, you control a space craft that has to defend the earth against an invasion of aliens. You have to navigate your space ship around various obstacles and destroy all sorts of enemies at the same time.
At the end of each round an end boss has to be defeated before you can continue to the next round.

GG Aleste

In the first installment of the Aleste series for the GG, you play as Ellinor Waisen, the daughter of the original Aleste pilot Ray Waisen. As usual, your task is to exterminate level upon level of nasties with your space ship. The usual Aleste powerup systems remains fairly intact. You still have powerup pods which release P capsules for upgrading your main weapon. On the other hand, secondary weapon upgrades are no longer released from ground bases, but from another type of flying pods. When you start out, your secondary weapon is a laser, which can later be replaced with powerups ranging from split fire to napalm rockets and target seeking power balls. Both primary and secondary weapons are in constant use, since only button 2 is used for firing both weapons at once. Due to the smaller screen estate of the Game Gear, the sprites are larger and the playfield more constrained, for which the game compensates somewhat by introducing multidirectionally scrolling sections.

The Guardian Legend

In the far future, Earth is a peaceful place with very few worries. To ensure it stays that way, a top secret project was authorized: the creation of the guardian suit. It's a suit of flight armor that allows the guardian to survive any environment. It's a good thing too, because a giant space station is spotted on a collision course with Earth.
You take the role of the guardian. Your mission is to activate the station's self-destruct and destroy it before it collides with Earth. As you travel through the station NAJU, you'll find increased armor and better weapons to help you defeat waves of enemies. You'll battle through the station in a human form and also as a jet in certain areas.

Guardic

Guardic is a top-down 2d shooter based on the classic premise of pitting a single starfighter against a horde of enemies with the fate of the galaxy at hand. A particularly interesting touch in Guardic is that instead of fighting through a scrolling field filled with enemies, the game places your ship in "rooms" with a fixed amount of opponents that take up the most part of the screen. After defeating every enemy on screen you advance to the next room and so on... Power ups are not activated until you reach the next room (with some exceptions) and even then you have to choose which ones to activate before you enter the fight, which gives the game an additional strategic touch.

Gun-Nac

A Galactic Federation starfighter is sent off to destroy an alien armada (led by giant robotic rabbits this time around -- an unusually whimsical theme in keeping with the contemporary Parodius) threatening to collapse your system's sun into a supernova.
Gun-Nac is a top down shooter in which the player controls the Federation starfighter. Power ups and genre mechanics are as could be expected from a "shmup". now with collectible money that allows you to shop for different weapons and bombs to complement your standard main gun in the inter-level weapons market. Directional weapons, attachments and up to four bomb types can also be bought to increase your survival chances, further aided by player control over the speed at which your ship moves through the levels. Single player only.

M.U.S.H.A.

A spin-off from the successful Aleste series by Compile, Musha Aleste takes the same top-down shooter mechanics of it's predecessors but stages the action in a bizarre universe that merges traditional Japanese lore with sci-fi mecha action.
Instead of commanding a ship, you will actually step into the cockpit of a ninja-styled mecha as you fight through the many levels in the game, with several option satellites that can be configured to use different formations.

Power Strike

The Earth is threatened by mutant plant life and their brainwashed human followers. Only one force can stop the evil vegetables from taking root: Power Strike, the most versatile jet fighter in the world. Blast the enemy in the air and and on the ground and save the planet from the creeping green menace.
There are six rounds to complete (three in the mobile version). In each round, numbers (from 1 to 8) can be found on the ground either enclosed by a ring, or in the air carried by a ship. Getting these numbers will upgrade your firepower. Get more of the same number for a maximum upgrade. Unfortunately, whatever the type of firepower you get, you will have a limited supply of ammo, so you need to stock up on the same type of firepower if you get too low.
At the end of each round, there is an end-of-round boss which involves shooting parts of its base in order to destroy it. Intermediate bosses can be found in the last three rounds (console version only).

Power Strike II

In the early 1930s, people have lived in poverty since the great depression in 1929. Being laid off from their job, a great amount of pilots became the sky pirates in order to survive. The sea and the sky near Italy have been plundered by them. You earn a living by shooting down these pirates.
Power Strike II is a top-down shooter where you must select which weapon you want to use during the game, and then fight your way through various stages, destroying both air- and ground-based enemies along the way. You can upgrade your weapons by collecting power-ups that can only be found by shooting specific ships. You will need to defeat the end-of-level boss (by destroying parts of it) in order to proceed to the next level.

Powerstrike II

Though it shares its Western title with the Master System shooter, GG Aleste II takes place in the far future, and not the steam-punk 1930s of Powerstrike II for the Master System. As in GG Aleste, you're the woman pilot of a space fighter faced with the task of saving the world by destroying a lot of alien spaceships and technological plantlife. The gameplay in GG Aleste II has been further refined since its predecessor. Before starting out, you're given the choice between all the secondary weapons, with suggestive names such as Hammer Hawk or Rising Masher. These are upgraded in the same vein as in GG Aleste until you reach a frightening potential, covering the screen in bullets and napalm explosions. As a last resort, you're also given the ultimate weapon; a smart bomb destroying all enemies on-screen. Unfortunately, you're only given one bomb per life. As far as the weapons arsenal goes, this is the pinnacle in 8-bit Aleste versions. The graphics have been revised with a clearer look which turns out better on the Game Gear's fuzzy screen. Perhaps taking a cue from the Sonic games of the time, the bonus levels are in 3-D, giving you the chance to earn bonus points and extra lives by shooting down as many baddies as possible in Galaxy Force style.

Robo Aleste

Overhead Shooter based in Japan. The bloodthirsty Chugoko Warlords of the west have ruled and ravaged the once-supreme Oda Clan. Time to get your revenge. This is an overhead shooter with large bosses and massive power-ups.

Seireisenshi Spriggan

Another top-down shooter from Compile staged in a fantasy world that mingles traditional sci-fi elements with a feudal Japan setting.
As the game starts a struggle for total control over elemental powers is about to begin between two warring nations. As the best mecha pilot in the good guy's army it's your task to repel the invasion and win the war by dealing with the enemy armada in standard shooter fashion. But surprise surprise! You won't be alone this time, as other AI-controlled mecha pilots will join you in the fray at key moments. Only you can command the magical powers that can be added to your mecha by collecting several color-coded orbs though, so most of the fight is still going to be up to you.

Space Megaforce

Compile's Aleste series lands on the SNES with the appropriately named Super Aleste. Taking the role of a lone starfighter pilot, you are tasked with destroying an evil alien armada in standard 2D shooter fashion. And while you may be alone, you certainly won't be underpowered, with eight different types of weapons, each having six power-up levels for a grand total of 48 firing modes (not counting bomb power-ups) Super Aleste boasts one of the largest arsenals in 2D shooter history.
Gameplay is single-player only with 3 difficulty levels. Also included is a short campaign with different levels that plays mostly like a "survival" mode with the objective being to outlast the time limit and rack the most points.

Xevious: Fardraut Saga

Xevious: Fardraut Saga is a vertically scrolling shooter and another installment in the Xevious series which started in 1982 when Xevious was introduced in arcade halls. The story of Xevious: FS is that a large number of UFOs have been reported above the South American continent. The player's duty is to reconnoiter the identity of the unidentified objects and the underground building located at 72.26.
The Recon squadron has been mashed up to the last Solvalou. Moreover, we succeeded in developing a transformed type named "Gampmission". That is basically a combination of three fighters which are Solvalou, Solgrado and Zeodalley. By introducing this new machine we obtained the sinews of war which is needed in order to counteract increased enemy power. Now the battlefield of the Xevious army has been extended. Thus, we are in a critical condition.
We will start operation of mash the Xevious army. Good Luck.

MoonCloud

seems like you can't hotlink images from mobygames  ::)
edit: and also seems like the rolleyes smiley doesnt work...

arseniy

right. Their site prevents hotlink.
I think I better change the rollereyes code. It sucks. But what is original rolling eyes code? I also can make roll eyes animated smiley myself. The smileys :), ;), :D, etc I made using blulander as start point :bluelander:

teremochek

Zanac A.I.

ZANAC A.I. is a 2D shoot them up game. You are flying fighter model ZANAC, a ship built by 256 Riot Fleet as man's last hope against total annihilation. On board are special weapons to help you blast your way through twelve screens of enemy creatures and destroy the system's home base. Zanac is divided into 12 "areas", which look like planets. The various locations range from deserts to jungles and from oceans to industrial zones, featuring many different types of enemies.
Zanac's unique artificial intelligence program can intensify the action based upon your level of skill. The better you are, the more powerful "The System". Examples of the A.I. (but not limited to) in this game: the enemies are generally coming randomly with their behavior based on factors like the position your ship in the screen, the place you last died; the shoot speed of the enemies and bosses do also vary.
At the end of each area (level) you'll have to fight the area boss. Area bosses are mainly based around huge, screen-filling bunker bases consisting of gun turrets and a "core". You have limited time for fighting against the area boss - a time out could mean failure in entering the next stage, and with the time running, more and more enemies were attacking as penalty.

Zanac EX

Zanax EX, a 2D shoot them up game. The follow up of the immense popular shooter Zanac A.I. Again you are flying fighter space ship built - again - as man's last hope against total annihilation. On board are special weapons to help you blast your way through numerous screens of enemy creatures and destroy the systems home base. Again Zanac EX is divided into areas, which look like planets. The various locations range from deserts to jungles and from oceans to industrial zones. The game has many different types of enemies. Zanac's EX unique artificial intelligence program - just as Zanac A.I. - can intensify the action based upon your level of skill. The better you are, the more powerful "The System". Examples of the A.I. (but not limited to) in this game: the enemies are generally coming randomly with their behavior based on factors like the position your ship in the screen, the place you last died, the shoot speed of the enemies and bosses do also vary. At the end of each area (level) you'll have to fight the area boss. Area bosses are mainly based around huge, screen filling bunker bases consisting of gun turrets and a "core". You also have limited time for fighting against the area boss, a time out could mean failure in entering the next stage, and with the time running, more and more enemies were attacking as penalty.

Zanac X Zanac

Celebrating the 15th anniversary of Compile's legendary top-down shooter Zanac A.I. comes this remake. Alongside the original, the CD features as the specially made Zanac Neo, which is a complete re-make that aims to take advantage of 32-bit technology. It uses polygonal graphics and other special effects, as well as adding a more comprehensive storyline with cutscenes, different ships to play in (each with their own upgradable arsenal) and (for the first time in Compile's history) support for two-player co-op gameplay.

source:http://www.mobygames.com/browgames/compile/

MoonCloud

well the pics seem to work now.  :bluelander:
i know im not a mod at this forum, but i think it's a bit unhandy to fill a post with so many huge images

arseniy

Quote from: MoonCloud on March 22, 2010, 09:22:09 AM
i know im not a mod at this forum, but i think it's a bit unhandy to fill a post with so many huge images
What you mean about "unhandy to fill a post"?

tummai

Quote from: arseniy on March 22, 2010, 07:18:49 PM
Quote from: MoonCloud on March 22, 2010, 09:22:09 AM
What you mean about "unhandy to fill a post"?

Usually it's annoying to read a forum post with many large images.  Load time, long scroll bar, etc.  In this case I think its ok though.  I found the screenshots really helpful anyway.
My NesDev blog: http://tummaigames.com/blog

arseniy

oh, I forgot about load time with 10mbit connection :-\
SMF engine don't have "spoiler" type of buttons in it to hide images and load only with click.

ajistheman

Hi, I owned Guardian Legend as a kid, played it for hundreds of hours, enjoyed it...and still play it every now and then as an adult.  Within the last year I've bought Zanac for the NES and BLazing Lazers and MUSHA for the Virtual Console.  I can't seem to get into them...mostly because I'm not very good at them.  It would probably be nice if I knew what each of the power-ups do in those games.  I'm rebeating TGL this week, and I can still beat that game (and enjoy it).  Are those games harder than TGL?  Or I just haven't spent the time on them as I have TGL?  Are they nowhere near as good as TGL or is nostalgia telling me TGL is "oodles" better?

arseniy

I think TGL is one of the best games I ever played. It's probably the matter of taste. Some like Gradius some like R-Type.

optomon

That rock formation apparatus on the left looks kind of awesome, like something out of a 16-bit graphically enhanced TGL game.

teremochek

I will play now the next order.
In many games it is possible to hear familiar sounds. And sometimes familiar monsters and the weapon come across.

arseniy

Quote from: teremochek on March 27, 2010, 03:38:36 AM

In many games it is possible to hear familiar sounds. And sometimes familiar monsters and the weapon come across.
Yup that's true  :)
which SHMUP game by compile is best for you?(without TGL)

teremochek

Quote from: arseniy on March 27, 2010, 04:17:33 AM
Quote from: teremochek on March 27, 2010, 03:38:36 AM

Yup that's true  :)
which SHMUP game by compile is best for you?(without TGL)
Much depends on on game how many is old.
It were pleasant to me ZanacXZanac, Blazing lazers, Space Megaforce.