Updates:

Fans are welcome!

the overall new game

Started by delarakyle, May 03, 2011, 11:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delarakyle

so i was thinking, how can we make a new "The Guardian Legend" while making it fun and enjoyable, without compromising a classic feel. so here's some ideas  :)

Overall:

* the new TGL will have modern style, while retaining the original art concept

* the new TGL has to have a less confusing Heads Up Display

Storyline:

* lets try not make a completely new story, but enhance the original so that it is more understandable and more appealing in general

* The protagonist should have a more round character, with more expression and emotion.

Gameplay:

* in the first TGL i felt that the main character did not interact with the environment enough. more interaction needed.

* Enemies should give a more threatening appearance and a different armament.

* HUD needs to be simplified

* Controls need to feel comfortable

* a pop-up quick select weapons display that pauses the game until the button is let go or a weapon is selected should be featured

* Savegame feature should also be installed

* maybe a few new weapons or two

* Secret weapons

* (during on foot scenes) over the shoulder, FPS, original top down, or if you could switch between all modes would be excellent

* upgradable weapons,Armor, Etc.,more of an RPG feel

* (during flight scenes) ace combat style, or original top down

i will finish this tomorrow..... :bluelanderbig:
Complicated problems, Simple solutions

zeldatimelinefreak

On the SHMUP mode I was thinking more along the lines of Star Fox... Ace Combat was really fun, but it has too much free movement for a SHMUP. Actually this seems more like a remake that fills in the holes if we're just enhancing the original story with more details. With all of the work we've done I would want a sequel instead (randomspriter's story plans are leaning more toward the sequel idea), but I think a more storyline implemented remake would be pretty awesome ;D. I definitely think that if we do a 3D remake we could do a Zelda style (with the blaster and all of the other weapons of course!) labyrinth with a Star Fox style SHMUP mode. The more RPG style of upgrades is awesome as well, and the score could be changed into experience points so that if your experience reaches a certain point you'll get not only a health upgrade like the original, but also some attack, defense and speed as well!
Fleepa, Optomon, Grimgrin, and Clawbot would like to "personally" welcome you to Naju. Have a nice day!

UserK

Welcome delarakyle! Please read this message as a request for help in having a common understanding.

Quote from: delarakyle on May 03, 2011, 11:18:01 PMthe new TGL has to have a less confusing Heads Up Display
What do you dislike most? I personally believed it was fairly clear. The weapon selection screen is surely packed with data but there would be plenty of screen to fit today. Please elaborate.

Quote from: delarakyle on May 03, 2011, 11:18:01 PMThe protagonist should have a more round character, with more expression and emotion.
Given my recent experience with the 2d/3d mockup I've been toying with recently, I would say there's not so many room for "expression"... the distant perspective doesn't really help. What do you need by "more round"?

Quote from: delarakyle on May 03, 2011, 11:18:01 PMin the first TGL i felt that the main character did not interact with the environment enough. more interaction needed.
Totally agreed! I think there have been some proposals around dealing with destructible environments, more involved puzzles, PNGs.

Quote from: delarakyle on May 03, 2011, 11:18:01 PMa pop-up quick select weapons display that pauses the game until the button is let go or a weapon is selected should be featured
Personally, I'm more with the "click-select-click" approach.

Quote from: delarakyle on May 03, 2011, 11:18:01 PM(during on foot scenes) over the shoulder, FPS, original top down, or if you could switch between all modes would be excellent
There's a consistent issue with first person view and in general, with everything that allows you to see multiple rooms at once. This would require consistent gameplay adjustments. What happen when you look at another room? Are the enemies going to chase you across rooms? If the "room" concept is to be removed, then we can be fairly sure enemies will clog together happily.

delarakyle

amazing i got a response, anyways...

i like the star fox idea i thought about it last night too, also lets have it have it so you wont have to move up/down so much. but yeah i see where your coming from

the HUD was a bit unfriendly and packed with information, what i meant was to have the data more organized, and simply, more modernized like halo or mgs

okay FPS is out of the equation, how about MGS4 style with detailed radar?

switching weapons can also be MGS4 style, with your favorite weapons can be quick select with scrolling, and/or click select approach

what i meant was in the storyline and during cut scenes,(i dont mean putting expression in the middle of gameplay!) round character definition: A round character is a major character in a work of fiction who encounters conflict and is changed by it. Round characters tend to be more fully developed and described than flat, or static, characters. If you think of the characters you most love in fiction, they probably seem as real to you as people you know in real life. This is a good sign that they are round characters.

i hear you with the room concept,hears how to counter that, how about walls that surround a player in a room like metroid and doors that open or, if you want we can make it so that there is a "sterilizer" feature that killls everything in the room after you leave.to have a laser,digestive acid,etc in the room that kills everything in it kinda makes sense since it is an alien planet. lets try to make sure that the same amount of enemy ai units,with the same amounts of health and stats spawn the way you left it. but lets not put the room clearing system in npc rooms of course.
or if you want we can simple leave it top down

how about instead of just warp panels, we give the player an option to go into SHMUP mode and fly to the room? so the player won't feel confined to just an RPG style.....

how about secondary objectives like nonlinear objectives completing harder objectives allow you to obtain new weapons,exp, money,usable items(health packs,armor packs),or stat boosters

what about armor upgrades, and character customization.?

how about friendly a.i's that can assist?

some more intricate puzzles: good,leaving the player no hints or ideas on how to complete them: bad

weapon classes, Human, Alien, projectile, laser, flame, etc. not gonna go into detail ,that's what other threads are for

i agree on destructive environments, but please lets stay away from corpse models, and lets make the destruction a bit more scientific, like shrapnel flying around can be harmful to enemies, bullets rebound or penetrate through objects, flammable environments, etc

i dont think too much Chibi is a good idea, but too much fanservice is just as bad

rag doll physics? i find it less annoying then scripted deaths

an anime style idea is good, but lets not go overkill with it....

i have another good idea,

for a pre-prototype version of the game lets use the GTA-SA game engine.i know i know , copyright this and that and bla bla bla. but lets recreate its engine, and make somethings more rigid, capable, and flexible. what im trying to say is that, the original engine is too, inferior

oh and also bloom and good particle effects would be nice

UserK

ERRO: brain 0velroad!

So many ideas!

arseniy

delarakyle. You probably thinking about putting all your favorite games into one?

I think fans of TGL would be happy with something close to original and improved.

So far I feel most sympathy to UserK skecthes. Tho I was think that 3D is not good idea but what he did feels so familiar that makes me instant like of it. It's just a rooms so far tho.

You talking about GTA SA and other big games. Check their budget and size of Team. We have no millions of $$$$ and have no Team of 50 professional people.

delarakyle

Quote from: arseniy on May 06, 2011, 05:30:05 AM
delarakyle. You probably thinking about putting all your favorite games into one?

I think fans of TGL would be happy with something close to original and improved.

So far I feel most sympathy to UserK skecthes. Tho I was think that 3D is not good idea but what he did feels so familiar that makes me instant like of it. It's just a rooms so far tho.

You talking about GTA SA and other big games. Check their budget and size of Team. We have no millions of $$$$ and have no Team of 50 professional people.

no thats not what i mean, GTA sa is pretty easy to use as a game engine. i just thought we could use it for reference

delarakyle

man it's hard to try to satisfy the old school group, and the new school group  XD

i will volunteer in making the game, i can make 3d model skins

arseniy

Can you work with GTA engine ;) ?

delarakyle

Quote from: arseniy on May 06, 2011, 11:05:37 PM
Can you work with GTA engine ;) ?

not on the CPU im using  >:(, i just moved back from Japan, you see  :)

(edit) i might be able to get Ryousuke to help you guys out........

UserK

Modding existing games is viable. Nonetheless, I'd rather like something that can be freely distributed/downloaded.
BTW, last GTA I played was 2.

AlastorSX

I love all of your ideas, but I would add some temporary weapon power-ups that could be strategically used against bosses if willed to be, and definitely less linear-based. I know TGL gives some what of a Non-Linear feel, but I would cut out the whole key thing, and maybe have a suggested level and abilities for newer areas. Give the whole "Holy crap, I am NOT ready for this area!" Kind of feel. The RPG aspect and shooter aspect is a must, maybe as I said in another post, rather than just warp to the next area, maybe have to be in ship form to fly to the next destination to test the waters a bit to see how well the player can handle it, adding a skill factor to the gameplay. If you are a few levels lower than recommended and can handle it, kudos to you. Some minor "Not Einstein worthy" puzzles would be nice for as you said, interaction with the environment, and definitely some back story on why the planet Naju "Did I spell that right?" was destroyed in the first place. The Guardian Legend by no  means lacks a story line, but it really isn't in depth about it either. I would add a history on how the original came to be, her purpose, her personal beliefs and thoughts, and even play the history card where you spent parts of the game playing as her to get a feel for who and how she really was. It is kind of like the Assassin's creed story. You play As Altiar at times to show a history and connection to Ezio's current state, reasons for doing what he does, and goals. The Guardian Legend alone is a great game. Just think what could be done with a lot of in depth history, and revisiting the past to learn of the original protagonist's work as well as the current one.
"Nothing Is True... Everything Is Permitted..."