Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Raptor: Call Of the Shadows [PC]

Started by RubyC42, October 15, 2012, 12:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubyC42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3TttIDAOVQ

one of my first ever vertical shooters I've played (the others being Raiden, Major Stryker and the like)

it's lengthy (109 minutes), but that's mainly because it includes all 27 available  stages in the full game  :bluelander:
My YouTube channel for gameplay videos [includes TGL: Secret gameplays!]

Are you a Text Role-player? We have a TGL-themed RP going on, feel free to join!

EinhanderZwei

Yaay, that's an amazing game! Raptor and Tyrian are probably the greatest PC shmups ever. I especially like the title music themes in both  8)

RubyC42

Quote from: EinhanderZwei on October 15, 2012, 01:00:01 PM
Yaay, that's an amazing game! Raptor and Tyrian are probably the greatest PC shmups ever. I especially like the title music themes in both  8)

I have Tyrian 2000. although i am still unsure whether i want to play it yet since it looks a lot more complicated than TGL, Raptor and/or UN Squadron D:

Are you a Text Role-player? We have a TGL-themed RP going on, feel free to join!

EinhanderZwei

I have OpenTyrian for my Android tablet, phone and PSP (and I'm lazy, so I haven't installed it on my PC yet, haha), so I guaranteed have some top-notch space action in my pocket anytime  :redlander:

You should try it, it has an arcade mode without the plot and item shops (yeah, a nod to the TGL mode in, well, TGL)

If only Raptor would be re-released as open source, too!!!

Also it is nice of GOG.com to add Tyrian 2000 to all the new accounts

RubyC42

If only we can [legally] port TGL into a PC version and have GoG.com supply it to its members - then it'll have never before seen exposure for such an obscure game XD

EinhanderZwei

The thing is, I won't call it obscure... it does have a cult following (including our forum), and it's referenced in the 'Top NES Games of [insert period here]' lists more and more often  :bluelanderbig:

arseniy

Quote from: EinhanderZwei on October 15, 2012, 01:30:28 PM
The thing is, I won't call it obscure... it does have a cult following (including our forum), and it's referenced in the 'Top NES Games of [insert period here]' lists more and more often  :bluelanderbig:
The cult is obviously so very tiny  :3
Hey I played Raptor game and I loved the GFX look. But I remember I wish it was more fantastic with monsters. Nice game anyway!

RubyC42

Quote from: EinhanderZwei on October 15, 2012, 01:30:28 PM

all obscure games have cult fans of their own too XD, just look at Crystalis

and it is a grey area regarding that - it is true that it's only very recently that people are discovering this old gem and more people are becoming interested in the game (while the actual "fans" are still relatively small - i.e. this forum); but it still doesn't have reached the time when it eventually took off in later years [like SNES's Earthbound, it sold extremely poor in the NA Market initially and wasn't even released in EU] but then again, Compile folded, so i don't really expect any "new" games of this type to come out anytime soon.

Quote from: arseniy on October 15, 2012, 01:45:01 PM
The cult is obviously so very tiny  :3
Hey I played Raptor game and I loved the GFX look. But I remember I wish it was more fantastic with monsters. Nice game anyway!

Most Apogee games back then had the problem of being overly repetitive beyond that was offered in the Shareware version (just look at other games like Major Stryker and Boppin') but even then back in the days when the gameplay itself was so well done that you were literally dying to have the full version - eventhough there was almost nothing new to offer there XD

arseniy

I m suspicious that even Crystalis have much more fans than TGL yet!

UserK

Oh no please tell me that's not true!

Quote from: RC42 on October 15, 2012, 01:02:15 PMI have Tyrian 2000. although i am still unsure whether i want to play it yet since it looks a lot more complicated than TGL, Raptor and/or UN Squadron D:
More difficult maybe? Cannot be more complicated than TGL... really SHMUP + mazes = **mind bends**

RubyC42

shush! I arrived at that conclusion looking at videos and screenshots D: