Updates:

Fans are welcome!

TGL: Legacy (by Sinner-KS)

Started by Sinner-KS, February 06, 2015, 12:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golbez

Hi Sinner. I haven't been to the forums in awhile, and I pop in to find your 3D remake. It looks terrific! I've downloaded the demo, but I'm wondering if there's an English version that I can download? Or where in the game can I select it? I feel immediately lost on the installation screen.  ;D I saw you said it's been available since Alpha 33. I just don't know how to access it. Thanks, I can't wait to try it!

Found it! I just had to pick a folder/destination and change the flag icon. Awesome!

Edit - I can't get it to work. I don't believe I have all the required software, but I'm not sure which NetFramework I should have with Windows 10.

ANGEL_UNDEAD

Quote from: Golbez on March 13, 2016, 01:16:01 PM
Hi Sinner. I haven't been to the forums in awhile, and I pop in to find your 3D remake. It looks terrific! I've downloaded the demo, but I'm wondering if there's an English version that I can download? Or where in the game can I select it? I feel immediately lost on the installation screen.  ;D I saw you said it's been available since Alpha 33. I just don't know how to access it. Thanks, I can't wait to try it!

Found it! I just had to pick a folder/destination and change the flag icon. Awesome!

Edit - I can't get it to work. I don't believe I have all the required software, but I'm not sure which NetFramework I should have with Windows 10.

Here is the .NET Framework 4.6.1 from microsoft:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49981
I'm not sure about Microsoft XNA Framework compatibility with Windows 10, so let us know if you will have problems.

Golbez

So I have the following Microsoft XNA and C++ files, in addition to about another 8 C++ files (more from 2008 and 2005). Well, I took a screen shot of it, but the forums won't allow the upload, it seems, but I have a bunch of C++ files and the XNA installed, so I should be good there. Also, Windows 10 said I already have Net Framework 4.6.1 or newer, so the installation will not continue, so it must already come installed on Windows 10, although I didn't find it in the list of Apps with those C++ programs. And I installed Direct X from the Install link from the game, so I think that should cover it, although the game still seems to be not launching. Please let me know what you think. I'd love to get this running. It looks so good.  :skull:

ANGEL_UNDEAD

Try to install this package and reboot your PC:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=27599
If it will not help, try the same with this package:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

You can also download whole game archive by using one of the links:
https://mega.nz/#!bxYFjAoZ!0fIUaEoPZgzsr7jQVOdXdc6Ga4C54cUBO1Fat0REI-w
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ndg16cvf4wtt6fd/TGL_Legacy_v._alpha_47.7z
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/6TWr/4qScZUyZd

By the way, you can upload your screenshots to any image hosting, for example http://imgur.com/
Just drag'n'drop images you want to upload there, then give us a link.

Golbez

So with Windows 10, the Game Studio 4.0 Refresh said it was incompatible. The second link, XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 however did the trick!

So it's time for some feedback. And first, it's every bit as impressive as the demo looks. The graphics and animation are amazing, right down to the shimmering power meters and dancing seaweed. The fish look amazing (corridor 1), and you've maintained some of the key sound effects (destroying blocks for example). So it really has a legitimate sequel feel. I've only played with one weapon so far (the electricity), but it's really innovative. It plays well with the game and adds to the replayability. It's very clever how the electricity will attack adjacent enemies. And then there's the thoughtful secondary weapons - the big energy blast, and the electric boots. Both are quite useful, and it's well balanced with a slow rate of fire so you can't exploit it (which is frustrating! ha.) And the choices the Blue Landers give you are great, along with explanations before selecting them.

But I have a little criticism (very little!). I feel like she walks just a tad slowly, but this is probably linked to the gameplay/mechanics of the game, with the speed of the other monsters. So maybe this can't be corrected without having to tweak the rest of the monsters as well. And her booTs are huge. This is probably why she walks so slowly! Haha. (Although, I believe this is how the NES game was, and then you got items that make you run faster, so I hope that's how this will operate also.) Also, while setting controls in the first main menu, there's no back button. I have to close (X) the window to get back to the main screen, which is a bit counter-intuitive. I thought it would close the program instead. This should be more clear. Also, if you start a game and change the controls from the following menu instead, it's very convenient to press the keys as they present to you, after you discover this is how it works. But the first time, I accidentally started inputting the wrong keys, and there was no way to interrupt or back up the process. So I button-mashed my way out of there and then had a really hard time escaping the menu. Haha. I had to close-reopen the program, basically. So changing the buttons could be a little more clear. But this is minor stuff. The game is brilliant, and I look forward to its continued development, because those other levels were a snap!

Lastly, a correction. "Good choise. Take it!" Choise -> Choice.

Oh, and Fleepa was awesome. I love that you changed up his attack style. I feel like what might make it even trickier is if sometimes he just zooms across the screen without popping his nose out first. Maybe every 5th attack or something, just to keep you guessing. Just a thought! Really great stuff!

Sinner-KS

Golbez, very nice feedback! It was interesting and fun to read it) I'm glag you liked the game. About your criticism: Miria's movement speed can be increased by applying energy generator capacity to Mobility. As the game progresses, you getting more energy generator capacity and more movement speed you can get. We fixed boots' size already, they'll be okay in next game release 8) Controls setting in the game will be changed in the nearest releases.

Golbez

I haven't updated the game since the previous post, but I'm discovering so much more about this. And I'm still as amazed. I almost died against one of the easiest mini-bosses of the original (the red squiggly thing that appears/disappears, who generates weak other red squigglies.) It was awesome to discover that as he ate the power-ups, he increased his health! So this both takes away from my health, and increases his. Amazing trickery. Then there's all the secrets I'm discovering, like monsters where you don't expect or triggers for secret bonuses (don't want to reveal too much). And still, the detail is so great - the glowing ring around the portals, the erratic flight path of the bats, the RANDOM MAP GENERATOR. And while I haven't explored this at all, I love that rather than getting experience from killing monsters, you trade in your power-ups to level your character. This is an awesome change, and one that makes that power-up eating miniboss all the more intense. At first I was like  :bluelander: but now I'm like  :eyeblue1: :eyeblue:

Is there an implemented solution to RedLander's mechanical beast problem yet? I haven't been able to solve him.

That miniboss (that eats power-ups) seems impossible on "Normal" mode! I can't get out of the way of his entrance. So I just automatically take damage. Of course, I made myself slower to improve my gun strength. That might have something to do with it...

2x Edit - Yeah, that miniboss is tough. You need a speed of 7 to clear his surface attack. And level 1 is crazy too! This game is going to be nuts when it's done.

Suggestion - The "language" area at the beginning of the program could have "language" written in English in a smaller font where you can change it so it's readily clear to the English speaking language where this is done. We're not used to having to change our language; we're spoiled! =P

deepshock

I definitely owe this game a weekend long look now that you've done all this. Keep at it, Golbez.
Steel Seraph developer.

www.facebook.com/steelseraph
www.twitter.com/steelseraphgame

Golbez

Heh, it's Sinner's* work. I'm just a recent enthusiast, awaiting the next release. It's awesome. Definitely check it out. Probably won't take you a whole weekend to work through though. Only the intro and corridor 1 are playable, with a randomly generated(!) area 1 in between. There are a lot of options in the weapon choices though, and with the random maps, even this demo is pretty replayable - I've played through on different difficulties (easy and medium) with each of the gun types. There's quite a bit to explore with the adjusted mechanics. I hope to see it completed some day. So much awesome here.

Sinner-KS

Quote from: Golbez on April 01, 2016, 03:42:03 PM
with a randomly generated(!) area 1 in between.

Area 2 too ;)
(moon\crescent icon on portal)

Golbez

:o 

:redlander: :redlander: :redlander: :redlander: :heart: :heart0: :heart: :heart0:

I just assumed they were all blank. I suck!

Golbez

Area 2 is amazing. I love that you use monsters from the corridor levels in the area.

I accidentally upgraded a gun too much and now I can't use it. When my primary weapon chip requirement hits 40, how can I access it?

Oh, and I figured out Red Lander's riddle. This is also awesome.

Sinner-KS

Quote from: Golbez on April 03, 2016, 09:11:35 AM
I accidentally upgraded a gun too much and now I can't use it. When my primary weapon chip requirement hits 40, how can I access it?

It is necessary to collect 40 chips  :) Also, try to turn off all the other weapons to free reserves.
The next update will be able to reduce the level of weapons that did not have such situations.