Updates:

Fans are welcome!

The Guardian Legend: WORLDS

Started by Quoise Games, February 19, 2015, 04:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quoise Games

LOL. Fireball, check this page out

http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/TheGuardianLegend/TGLoverworld.html

Its pretty much a visual layout of the labyrinth. So I can gather information from this.  I would still ask for just a sheet with individual sprites so I can add information to it, but I won't need map data anymore.  thanks.

Also, I won't be able to make the random map look like the original map.  Infact, corridor interlocking (going through area A to get to area B) may happen quite often.  But since corridors are highlighted in the minimap, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, and might make it more of a challenge.

fireball

Quote from: headfonez on April 03, 2015, 06:51:03 AM
LOL. Fireball, check this page out

http://www.nesmaps.com/maps/TheGuardianLegend/TGLoverworld.html

Its pretty much a visual layout of the labyrinth. So I can gather information from this.  I would still ask for just a sheet with individual sprites so I can add information to it, but I won't need map data anymore.  thanks.

Also, I won't be able to make the random map look like the original map.  Infact, corridor interlocking (going through area A to get to area B) may happen quite often.  But since corridors are highlighted in the minimap, this shouldn't be too much of a problem, and might make it more of a challenge.

That's what I was using to gather data anyway as well.  As long as you can get everywhere and everything, that's the main thing.  If I were to write a generator to approximate the map, I'm sure it would have to happen in stages.  I would first have it slice the map into sections, and then have it generate small maps bound to those sections, then you connect them, declare what areas they are, and place your random stuff.  That said as long as you can get to every area in the proper order, it doesn't matter too much, especially not for now.
I died.

Quoise Games

Yeah, I was going to section it off, until I realized that there were 10 areas (thought there were 8 ). So randomizing them to be confined within a small space may prove to be challenging . But I can look into those restraints later on.  I think traversing through areas to get to a different area will be fun for now.

Mattrick_

It actually would make for an interesting race as long as we could keep track of progress theough corridors. Will the randomizer keep the corridor numbers confind to their respective areas?

fireball

Yeah, I'm pretty sure even if you implemented a normal map generator, you'd still keep the built out generator around, because variety is good.  As long as it's ordered so A1 is entirely available before A2 and so forth, it should still be very race-able.   
I died.

Mattrick_

That was my main concern. But as long as it follows the normal flow of the game, even if the map doesnt look normal, we should be fine

Quoise Games

Yes, for version 1.0 there will be two corridors per area. However. There may be a limit on the number of areas total.  So for one race, you may have 8 unique areas, for another race you may have the full 10 areas. Regardless, the total corridor count will be 21, and all of the extra corridors will be found in the last area.

[edit] nevermind, there will always be 10 areas as usual for this draft.

Quoise Games

The Guardian Legend: WORLDS SpeedRacer version 1.0 is up. Check it out. File Attached

[edit] Version 1.1 is now up. Item spawns should be correct now. Area 10 should show up. All doors should correspond to their correct areas and keys. Give it a try.

[edit] Version 1.2 is now up. Corridors are now randomized. The randomization is based on the area.  So, for example, corridor 1 may have corridor 11's enemy listing.  I haven't randomized the bosses yet but should be able to do the same with those using the same formula.  Corridor palettes and game music randomized

[edit] Version 1.3 is up.  Music is more reasonably randomized, and an interesting effect happens when you're hit while in a corridor.  It may affect your chances during a race....

[edit] Version 1.4 is up.  Removed corridor slowdown. Made the music even more reasonable.  Reduced the appearance of save rooms.  Removed red block barriers which would completely block you from getting somewhere on the map. Did not address off the map accessable areas, so auto save states are necessary.

Mattrick_

Testing it now.... Twitch.tv/Mattrick_

I encourage you to come check it out man... its.... interstesting :P

Shredder

Where is corridor №10? Completed №9 and no more appeared.

Quoise Games

Should be able to update that soon. Let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary or if you have any other ideas.

arseniy

I saw the thing that I could go inside a door without key and also there was an empty hole door that wasn't possible to enter.
X 12 Y 8 the right door.
Should be without keys because it's actually the next key. If you take it you can go there.

So it's actually thing that keys not match on one side and another

Attached the file

Mattrick_

Okay i did 2 full runs of this new randomizer.

As far as codes are concerned, the generator does not like numbers. nor does it like spaces, it also doesnt seem to like long words, as the longest word i got to work was Ballzanicus. Not sure how it affects map generation other than knowing that the default map if you dont add any words was broken for area 10, as was ballzanicus.

Now for in game issues.

First off... Map Item Boxes: These are not random.... no matter the "code" you put in when you generate your game... they spawn the exact same way...
EE, EE, E Tank, Shield, EE, Red Lander, Blue Lander, Shield, Cutter saber....

The other problem we have with items is.... every time, and i tried 3 different maps, is that in area 4, you ALWAYS have 5 shields because of item box spawns. This is bad, you are essentially invincible at this stage of the game with 5 shield powerups. If you are going to lock the gun/shield upgrades to their respective areas, then randomizing them into other boxes can totally destroy the flow of the game... it sort of needs to be all or nothing after having played through it a few times.
Red Fleepa with a shield barely dented my health, Blue Optomon with 4 shields was a joke, blue clawbot barely touched me even with his claws when i had 5 shields.  Gun powerups were not an issue because they didnt show up in the normal map item boxes at all.

Minibosses... they do not randomize their drops nor do random bosses pop when a miniboss spawns.

Corridors, do not randomize drops...

I can echo the others sentiments in broken area 10.... the game just decides to not draw up the area.

Another concern is whats happened to me a number of times so far in runs.... and ill post a video to show because its a sight to behold.
http://www.twitch.tv/mattrick_/c/6471365
When it ends, your whole UI is borked... text is all fubar, and everything is fubar.

Other issues, the SSS key portal in certain spots not working as intended, and is traversable without the key. Other portals not working at all.

Lots of portals to Corridor 0 which is in a black part of the map and has a portal up, or the broken message room (video above) which is also in a black space on the map.

Once those issues get ironed out, this will be fun to race for sure!

fireball

That glitch with the corrupted graphics happens when you go past the text and load non existent text, or something to that effect.  In the japanese version if you do the hold select press b, you'll go threw all of the text as normal, but instead of looping (or perhaps just before it loops) you'll instead get that same glitch in the same way.  It's the only difference I know between the US and Jap version, beyond the translation.   
I died.

Quoise Games

Version 1.1 of TGL Worlds SpeedRacer is now up. Item spawns should be correct now. Area 10 should show up when achieved. All doors should correspond to their correct areas and keys. Did not fix overflow text issue yet, but that shouldnot crash game.  Also, please report if corridor 0 is still accessable through the map (it shouldn't be).  Thanks

http://theguardianlegend.com/forum/index.php/topic,2001.msg8049.html#msg8049