Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Sequel Demo - Flash version

Started by BmpCorp, August 16, 2010, 03:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arseniy

That might be happen because I did made the options changes?

BmpCorp

I don't think so, I've tested savegames on different options, and they are loaded normally.

BTW, remember the game these guys are from? :)

arseniy

Well when I tried to save game the game crashed.
I not know where those guys from ;)

BmpCorp

Strange, strange... how it could crash even there. Well, I just have to do intensive testing.

I am working on Area 2 right now, though work is not so fast as it were in the beginning. I am planning to do every area in its own style (e.g. desert, cave, volcano etc), unlike original where two areas were of the same style. So it entails more styles, and I am asking for your help with that. What styles can you imagine?

Btw, these gyus are from Contra: Hard Corps :)

arseniy

Played Contra Hard Corps only once :P So I don't really rememebr. I remember NES contra much better  :3

UserK

MoonCloud

wow thanks for this Demo, playing it now for the first time ^_^
can't believe I have missed it before ..... is it a dead project now?

Golbez

Yeah, thanks, Mooncloud, for the bump. This is the first I've seen this. And a huge thanks to BmpCorp. This demo is amazing. I can't seem to work out how to change the controls though. I bring up the menu (tab) and move over to Controls, but I can't select it to change anything. Any button I hit just returns to the game. It's hard to control the ship with WASD and fire at the same time with Q. And my right hand sucks at controlling the arrow keys. I played too many FPS's. Would love some clarification on this.

Edit - Figured it out! Q/fire is the select option. Works great now. Many thanks!

Lol. Found a glitch with the first mini boss on the map screen. If you pull the old trick of standing on the blocks as they appear to kind of "test the waters" of what the boss is and how hard he is, then leave after the boss music comes up, it stays playing. So then I went back in to try and beat him, and after I did, I have both songs playing at the same time.

Also, I think it would be cool to hide items in the brown blocks. That make them a little more valuable and justify shooting them all to find extra goodies. Kind of like random secrets. In fact, maybe they should appear randomly, so that it is more of a "secret" and a random bonus.

I love the Metroid side scrolly things. Excellent idea and implementation.

The loading saved game thing doesn't seem to work. I was able to save a file, and select it to try and load, but the screen just went blank. I'm using a movie player to play it. GOM player.

arseniy

BmpCorp

Well yes, the project is not dead or abandoned, I am continuing to work on it. :bluelander: But as Arseniy said, very slowly, 'cause I don't have much time to do it. Still, about 65% is already completed now, and my enthusiasm for sequel hasn't yet disappeared.

The main reason I don't appear here often and post any news is my precaution, maybe unnecessary, but... if you know what happened to Streets of Rage Remake, you should understand. I don't think that Sega or other companies will come for my head because I use their resources, but taking some precautions might be a wise idea. Still, there are Flash games like Abobo's big adventure, which, too, uses these resources, and lots of others on Newgrounds. So I'm starting to change my mind now, and even decided to post here :)

Now, for demo and bugs. Lots of them are already fixed, also you should use Flash Player v.10.3 or higher in order to play game properly. I can't guarantee correct work of the SWF in lower versions or other players like KMP Player, GOM Player etc. You should use your browser plugin or standalone Flash Player, which I personally prefer. You can take the latest version of standalone player from Adobe official website. For example, here is the latest (by now) version for Windows.

Once you're sure you use correct player, you may look for bugs :) And post them. Now for posted bugs.
Quote from: Golbez on July 04, 2012, 02:03:15 PM
Lol. Found a glitch with the first mini boss on the map screen. If you pull the old trick of standing on the blocks as they appear to kind of "test the waters" of what the boss is and how hard he is, then leave after the boss music comes up, it stays playing. So then I went back in to try and beat him, and after I did, I have both songs playing at the same time.
This one is fixed.
Quote from: Golbez on July 04, 2012, 02:03:15 PM
The loading saved game thing doesn't seem to work. I was able to save a file, and select it to try and load, but the screen just went blank. I'm using a movie player to play it. GOM player.
Yeah, that might have happened because of GOM player, but also could be a bug. The loading procedure just blacks out the screen if it thinks that save file is wrong. ::) I didn't test it much in demo. Now it works differently, and I test it heavily every time I make a change.

Oh well. Here's somewhat important news about the sequel. I decided to make it in two parts: classical and non-classical. The classical part is designed to be as close to original game as possible, with few changes like non-eight bit graphic and a new room type. The non-classical part, which I'm currently working on, and which starts after classical part, doesn't stick to the original game much. Well, it's not something completely different - it still has walking and flying levels, the world is still divided into areas and areas are a set of rooms with fixed size of the screen. Here are some crucial changes:
- rooms don't have fixed repeating layout. Every room looks different (which makes room creation much more time-consuming :skull: but the result is worth it, I believe);
- flying levels have some parts when Miria changes her flying direction. I don't plan to turn the game into a side-scroller, but I think sometimes it can be interesting; :)
- music is not 8-bit. Well, that was a hard decision, but Arseniy convinced me to do it :) Besides, I have lots of awesome non-eight-bit music to insert.
So, that's it. I thought it would be a good idea to divide the game like that, so people wouldn't get bored or tired of repetitive rooms and areas (well, I can't say they are actually repetitive, and I wouldn't get tired of them either :)), also I think it would be more interesting than just copying of the original game. I hope this idea won't disappoint the fans.

I didn't make a full list of changes in this part yet, so your ideas about it is appreciated. Just as your ideas about the game interface I made and any other feature of the game.
QuoteAlso, I think it would be cool to hide items in the brown blocks. That make them a little more valuable and justify shooting them all to find extra goodies. Kind of like random secrets. In fact, maybe they should appear randomly, so that it is more of a "secret" and a random bonus.
Well, I've been thinking about some new bonuses. I want to add some bonus effects like increasing player's damage for a while or making him invincible. These bonuses might be rare and found in new type of blocks, as you say. Thanks for the idea.
QuoteEdit - Figured it out! Q/fire is the select option. Works great now.
I don't think it works great, actually :) I'm going to allow player use mouse to select menus. That will be much more comfortable.
Also, if you play a lot of FPS, I think you will find the ability to quickly change weapons with digits really handy :)

Thanks for playing my game and reading all this. :redlander: A couple of screenshots I haven't posted yet:

Golbez

Looks and sounds spectacular. Thanks for the thorough update! I can't wait for the finished product.

AlastorSX

Definitely a step in the right direction. One thing I would definitely change right off the bat is the rate of fire. The gun fires about twice as fast in the original, and that is one thing I would never change in a sequel. Other than that, it was a very fun demo!
"Nothing Is True... Everything Is Permitted..."

BmpCorp

Thanks for response, but what exactly did you mean by the "rate of fire" - a time interval between two shots or speed of player's projectiles? I've slightly increased the velocity of projectiles already to keep the game balanced. Anyhow, it's not a problem to change both of these parameters.

BmpCorp

Hello again, fans! Just five and a half years passed, and I hope someone is still waiting for my project)
I could describe what has changed in detail, but I think it's better to just see how it looks and plays:

https://youtu.be/p6OA4lmNEvA

And now... some more info)
The work on the project went really slooooooow because I didn't have time. But about a year ago, I started to work more intensively and rewrote game engine almost from scratch. Thanks to this, game looks much better now and freezes no more. I also considered some useful advices about map rendering and boss health bar, including less significant features like the ability to hold the walk key while changing the room.

The spirit of the game remains the same, however - it is a TGL sequel with classic gameplay and some other moments, which I intentionally made similar to original game. Earlier I wanted to divide my game into two parts - a "classic" one and a "new" one, but now I clearly see that I have time only for classic part. So I decided to release it alone and not make fans (including myself) wait for another N years.

The game is still harder than the original and the difficulty is still adjustable. The quantity of monsters you encounter is one of the things which depends on difficulty level. The video shows hard level (the beginning of the game, obviously, has less enemies).

Oh, the sequel has the name now, as you can see. Look, it's so awesomely original: Shadow of Naju! Well, to be honest, it suits the game story pretty well.

Now, the cherry on the cake. Work on the project is almost done. Things that left are finishing some cut scenes and polish some corridors. It will be exactly one year of the new life of the project on 20th of July, and I believe the game will be "released" before that date.

I'm going to publish more screenshots later. Wake up, fans)) Sorry to make you waiting.