Updates:

Fans are welcome!

Play this substantially Modified NES Guardian LEgend

Started by optomon, March 11, 2010, 06:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

optomon

A little bit of talk has gone around about the reverse engineering of Guardian Legend. In light of it, I'll introduce this.  It is a hacked version of the game. This is pretty much the embodiment of what I've modified in the game. Every now and then, I change some things around in it. The map is different, the corridors are mostly similar with some different bosses, and maybe a couple of other minor things. You should play it if interested in a somewhat different TGL.

TGL-Secret.nes

Version 3.2

arseniy

I never happen upon on to the RAM modifications of TGL forum topics. Where all of that disscuses?
Is there any more modified TGLs?
If there was over 4 of them could be made some stikcy topic or maybe a section?

tummai

Quote from: optomon on March 11, 2010, 06:55:09 PM
A little bit of talk has gone around about the reverse engineering of Guardian Legend. In light of it, I'll introduce this.  It is a hacked version of the game. This is pretty much the embodiment of what I've modified in the game. Every now and then, I change some things around in it. The map is different, the corridors are mostly similar with some different bosses, and maybe a couple of other minor things. You should play it if interested in a somewhat different TGL.

TGL-Secret.nes

Awesome!  Will try this out tonight!  Was it pretty straightforward to switch out the bosses?  That's on my list of things to figure out how to do.  We should do some information exchange.  I bet if we combined our notes we'd know this game backwards and forwards.

Quote from: arseniy
Is there any more modified TGLs?
If there was over 4 of them could be made some stikcy topic or maybe a section?

You should add a "Rom Hacking" section to the forum for discussing this kind of thing.  I released a little patch yesterday that let's you choose your hero color.  Actually, working on that patch is what inspired me to sign up for this forum.  You can find the topic here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10474.0.html

Looks like optomon already found it.  Anyway, don't want to threadjack, so I'll be back with comments on optomon's hack later.
My NesDev blog: http://tummaigames.com/blog

tummai

Quote from: optomon on March 11, 2010, 06:55:09 PM

This hack is really cool.  It's much more challenging than the original game, which is good.  I freaked out when I saw those laser ships on the first level :).  Right now I'm stuck on the last corridor in the Moon Key area.  The Squid boss is really tough at this point in the game.  Especially since I have to walk so far from the save point.  I'm going to go try again right now.  Really fun to play!

arseniy

optomon

Quote from: tummai on March 11, 2010, 11:06:50 PM
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,10474.0.html

Looks like optomon already found it.  Anyway, don't want to threadjack, so I'll be back with comments on optomon's hack later.

LOL yes I did. My commentary was in response to the fact that I had showed this hack here moments before discovering your hack on RHDN, and I didn't realise that you frequented the site.

Yeah the game is significantly more challenging than the original, perhaps even too cruel for some. I was hoping the more hardcore players would enjoy it.

Quote from: tummai on March 11, 2010, 11:06:50 PM
Was it pretty straightforward to switch out the bosses?  That's on my list of things to figure out how to do.  We should do some information exchange.  I bet if we combined our notes we'd know this game backwards and forwards.

Switching the bosses took a while to figure out and is not very straightfoward. I discovered how to do it over 5 years ago and it was one of the first things I tried to do in the game. It requires editing a single attribute from a table and changing a pointer that is embedded in the corridor level data. It's complicated so I'll have to talk about it elsewhere.

If you want to have information exchanges, we should just document it in threads in this part of the forum.

RagnarokNAJU

nice nice nice!!   going to try this out right now! :bluelander: :redlander: :skull:
~~ Cleaveland

RagnarokNAJU

wow... lol.. its maddening almost! i want to stick to my normal routine... since i have played tis game like 10,000+ times!! i feel like im missng stuff and it awesome to explore again.. VERY refreshing, so far i have just beaten the first two corridors.. but ill be hitting up more of it tonight..  very cool though, good work!
~~ Cleaveland

tummai

I agree.  Very fresh to play a new version of the game that I haven't memorized.  I finally beat the squid boss and made it to the Forest Area.  But the corridors are killing me without any shields.  I made it to the Clawbot once but didn't last.  Will try to take him down again tomorrow.  This hack is a lot of fun!

Oh, and no save states of course :).  At least not to redo anything.  I do use a save state at the end of the day so I don't have to write a password down.

arseniy

Quote from: tummai on March 13, 2010, 07:32:17 AM
I agree.  Very fresh to play a new version of the game that I haven't memorized.  I finally beat the squid boss and made it to the Forest Area.  But the corridors are killing me without any shields.  I made it to the Clawbot once but didn't last.  Will try to take him down again tomorrow.  This hack is a lot of fun!

Oh, and no save states of course :).  At least not to redo anything.  I do use a save state at the end of the day so I don't have to write a password down.
That's hardcore!

RagnarokNAJU

i do the same thing kind of, i will only save state after beating a corridor, i hate the abusing save state tech..
~~ Cleaveland

arseniy

RagnarokNAJU

lol...  :skull:! :skull:
doesnt that make it a little too easy?
i love knowing the fact that i can die.. just like real life, gotta keep things edgy!
~~ Cleaveland

arseniy

not all the games. Some games I play with no save state. For example I tried to play Recca(NES SHMUP) with no save states after I finished it with save states.

RagnarokNAJU

Recca? never heard of it... im playing the TGL hack as we speak will have to check that out
~~ Cleaveland