Updates:

Fans are welcome!

My character design renewal thread

Started by egil, January 10, 2010, 02:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egil

Hi all!

So I was invited to join this forum to discuss a new TGL game. I don't really have time to engage in these kinds of projects, but as it happens I do have a little personal side project where I am working on a little fan based character design based on the Guardian.

That said, I might as well post some of my progress as this could be a great place for relevant feedback and support. I started some doodles back in 2008 and have recently picked it up again for training as I've worked more with character design for different film projects.

Motivation

I want to dig up an old NES game that I enjoyed when I was a lot younger. (still do). The protagonesse in the game always fascinated me some how. Her fancy armor suit that could turn her into a spaceship - wow - has long been a mystery to me how the character design and mechanical solution for that suit would be solved today. I mean, there aren't many well defined details hiding in those pixels.

So this is sort of a fan art and a character design study. The motivation and text will probably be updated soon.

Sprites from the character in-game:

Box art:

And another manga done by artist Naoyuki Kato:

The general idea
I don't think the box art and the other illustration justifies the graphics in the game. The art seems so unfamiliar to the in-game character, and I have problems to make their design 'make sense'. I do like some of the aesthetics in the manga art, so some of the inspiration comes from there.

I intend to go towards a more realistic look so that the whole thing would be more .. probable. I want the design to feel natural, as if it could be seen in feature action film, in example, Iron Man. In other words, less Japanese cartoon style. I guess some of you feel that a darker approach to the design is a bit offensive, but hey, this project is for me, not for every fan out there  :redlander:

---

Recent sketches as for january 2010

Focusing on functional parts and silhouette of the angel. Adding details later!

Trying to figure out how that transformation from walking mode to fly mode works.. Once I can settle down the main functional parts, i can move on streamlining the whole design.I try to make the suit follow the Guardian's body, but it is a bit hard since there are a lot of big solid parts like wings and thrusters.

I've decided that the Guardian is going to fly thing thing with the face pointing forward, kind of superman pose.

Explorer mode is the familiar walking Guardian we know from the game. Perhaps heavy wing equipment, but let's imagine light materials and low gravity. She will hold a bigger gun or spear like device so there won't be too much unbalanced weight.

Battle mode can use the thrusters actively for fast movement, jumping etc.

Fly mode the flying mode for the corridors. Inspired by Iron Man and Jet Man (see attached photo. Yes, he is for real)

Check out this video, its awesome!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEXxkWXncuo

jet man

Wing joints are also equipped with flashlights - maybe the sequel has dark scary caves?

sketches may 2nd 2011
now with armor

egil

Some of my older sketches from 2008.. More similar to the original in-game character

arseniy

this suit definatelly would fit some sort of cyborb only. I doubt real human can handle this - body too fragile. That's why the jetman's suit so large. Otherwise the back of the human not strong enough. Tho the ultra strong and light material could be a solution I agree.

teremochek

The correct approach. Realness.
Me has interested.
Drawings +

Abominae

These are really good. I hope you continue to work on these.

faxinadu

really nice!!!!

i like also the dark caves with flashlight usage idea

RagnarokNAJU

~~ Cleaveland

UserK

Very good concept art. I think this could even be quite close to be doable... I think I would have to take a close look at a real glider a day.
The main trouble to me doesn't seem to be weight, but rather lift, obviously for a space oriented craft with a powerful afterburner, wings become mostly a cosmetic thing than anything else.
Dragging those in a liquid environment would wreak havoc.

egil

thanks for the feedback. sketched some more on the previous concept, now added armor

arseniy

That one looks much better. Armor looks a bit of bio-tech. Also it's sexy :)

teremochek

It would be healthy to see such three-dimensional model. Would be impressively.

arseniy

lol. it's funny how teremochek uses some wrongly translated words :redlander:
he meanth not healthy  - he meant awesome\cool\great XD