Updates:

Fans are welcome!

New Chips.

Started by teremochek, March 22, 2010, 08:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UserK

Quote from: arseniy on March 10, 2011, 10:56:30 PMhow it works in halo?
The game is built so enemies come in fairly predictable streams or small groups. You are given an embedded generator which will regen completely your shields after a while.
The shields allows you to to sustain a fair amount of low-damage shots or a few "big" shots. A single grenade will leave you completely unprotected. A single hit, when no shield is available, hits are subtracted from health. I don't remember how health worked - the bottom line is that it was a last resort and insufficient for any serious conflict.

The game keeps track of the last time you were hit.
If you are able to avoid damage for a few seconds (I think it's 5 seconds) your generator kicks in and gradually refills your shields to 100%. The refilling takes some times (perhaps 3 seconds). While recharging, normal hit rules apply.

Other games have similar mechanics, but they even hide the shield bar, as well as not giving any sort of "recharge feedback". Some fade the screen to black, other blur the scene or apply blood decals.

Perhaps I'll pull out an interesting video from youtube, but there are so many and most are not representative of method's flexibility.
Quote from: RandomSpriter on March 11, 2011, 08:40:04 AMRemember though, Chips are used for Ammunition as well.
And I don't recall that halo was "The more ammunition the more power you have." like in the normal shot for TGL.
No, it didn't. But if you cap at 100 chips or 5-10% of the total, the net effect is significant only at low power levels.
The "100 chip shot" is the first that does not feel puny.
Perhaps there would be a chance to introduce different mechanics at different parts of the game but as soon as the labirinth is kept room-based, there's close to no challange in getting recharged.
So maybe you are correct. Perhaps it is just better to leave chip regen out.

RandomSpriter

Each Enemy Kill = Increases your Chip by (Static value depending on Enemy?)

arseniy

The first game comes in mind is Tyrian.
Remember? It had fast shield regen after a second or few of being not hit.

RandomSpriter

O.o Looks sweet from 1 person.

Also a friend has told me to test it out before as well.

arseniy

I think chips should be taken same as in original part. Just 3 variety instead of 2. small , medium and big ammount.

teremochek

Quote from: arseniy on March 12, 2011, 03:24:26 AM
I think chips should be taken same as in original part. Just 3 variety instead of 2. small , medium and big ammount.
I too think of it (Blue, Orange, Red)  :bluelander: :D :redlander:

UserK

Quote from: RandomSpriter on March 11, 2011, 05:03:55 PMEach Enemy Kill = Increases your Chip by (Static value depending on Enemy?)
This would make sense if no chips can be found as pickup objects. I don't see much added value in redundant mechanics in this case.
Quote from: arseniy on March 11, 2011, 10:39:48 PM
The first game comes in mind is Tyrian.
Remember? It had fast shield regen after a second or few of being not hit.
If memory serves it wasn't exactly like that. The generator would recharge every time enough energy is produced. It's quite similar in effect. Halo has an added delay to promote tactical cover. Tyrian (always: if memory serves) promoted "not shooting".
It is still quite different because Tyrian uses energy output for shields as well as weapons (which is very interesting in my opinion) while in Halo the two were independent. When lacking in energy, Tyrian will route to weapons first which implies long firefights will result in little to no shields being recharged at all.
Quote from: teremochek on March 12, 2011, 11:25:25 AM
Quote from: arseniy on March 12, 2011, 03:24:26 AM
I too think of it (Blue, Orange, Red)  :bluelander: :D :redlander:
Please make sure the colors are easily distinguishable by luminance. I don't think red is a problem but the original light blue might look like orange. I say this because a friend of mine is affected by daltonism. I think dark blue might work here.
Or perhaps use different shapes as well.
While we're at it, what do you think about chip value pickups?
The blue chip in the original game is a serious letdown. It's good mostly for decorative reasons. I'd say the blue chip should not drop at all in corridors. Also, chip pickup also regenerate health.

arseniy

Your friend will help to solve the problem. Me as color lover(I don't like B\W photography) like the orange chip idea. It would be between blue and red.
I think Blue chips is fine tho. Maybe we make less gap. For example blue chip gives 50 chips, orange 500, red 1500. or something like that. When you on low the extra shot with 50 chip still would be nice isn't it?

RandomSpriter

Blue Chip = Your level
Orange Chip = 50+Level
Red Chip = 200+Level

Max level 50?

arseniy

I think it would be okay to have constant for chips. On the begining blue chips will be good for you even on 400 ChipMax. Some time later of course it'll be less and less but then red chips will have your focus more and more. I think it's good.

RandomSpriter

Makes sense but the topic can still be open in case someone has a good idea about it that may be worth listening to.

I didn't care much for blue myself at the later parts of the game. Poor Chips.

arseniy

yes poor chips but with 50 instead of 10 it will be enough to make 1 shot and even 2 shots with some 3 level weapons.

UserK

This is good rationale indeed!